Master thesis question

Ius

Joined Dec 30, 2019
Hey guys! I’m a EEE student and will be a finalist next year! I need to chose a project for my master thesis and I’m sort of unsure.

I’ve always loved wireless/RF communications, specially microwave systems, but I am unsure about what to do for my thesis. I shortlisted 3 main things:
-Anti Jamming communication system
-XPIC radio link
-Long range microwave link (~300Km)

I am really passionate about the technology and I have 18 months to do this. I am very committed to the thesis.

Also, after finishing my studies I would love to do research. So I will be applying to the States (MIT, Stanford...) or to Europe (ETH/Cambridge/Imperial College/EPFL). And I’ve heard that for PhD positions they try and look for innovative/challenging dissertations.

Thanks in advance guys!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

Have you discussed this with your thesis advisor?
Have you checked with the schools of interest whether they accept graduate transfers with advanced standing?

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:
-Anti Jamming communication system
--> How far I can see this functionality is inherrent to any LORA(tm) transmitter and works rather effectively. The basic assumptions - tranmsitting is going in very wide frequency range simultaneously; power is adaptively adjusting by sellf; bit by bit parity control is provided; in case of parity defect the new and new and new demand to sent ill-fated bit is flagged, until certificate it was received is flagged.
-XPIC radio link
--> First hear it, cant comment.
-Long range microwave link (~300Km)
--> That is difficult to obtain even the half of km at the case of several GHz or the power must be terrible - up to Petawaats in the impulse like military radars have to have. That is one of the main causes why 3x200W 3,5-5GHz 5G phone stations (still the region over 5 GHz-60 GHz is not well covered by commercially available tower hardware) need to be installed EVERY 200 meters a one. And even if You will use a superstrong but rare needles with haigh peak power and "normal" averag power, the Earth ball bending radius is never cancelled, thus the radio-horizon sight distance is calculated as L=3.57 sqrt(h). Thus the 350 km demands a sqrt(h)=100 or h=10 000 meters high antenna. I am motivating its nonsense.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
PS - Dont blame me if Your tutor will blame the idea, still it is on the edge of "anti-science", but there are some strong indications showing the "E-plane antennas" are giving some unbelievable strange and good result. Factually, that are two anti-phase resonant tanks (coils + C) inside the hollow copper hermetyc cylinder with closed ends. Theoretically that Faraday cage of course may exert all the charges from inside to outside (only contrary is forbidden) thus the some very strange field with hardly diminished H-component is radiated and some people tells that wave may go through the most of materials undiminished, including the Earth crust. The effect is not a foolish joke I may certify myself - I have measured E and H values around the so called Mishin coil a factually Teslas coil antipode, the two wires wound in Archymede spiral and without of any galvanic contact between them except the parasythic capacitance, the resonant tank is fed by one wire the outside end and second wire the inner end. Thus the two spirals plus parasythic C makes a tank with kilovolts per meter E field and nanoamperes per meter H component at 300 kHz. http://vortexmedicine.com/blog/wp-c...-scheme-for-natural-treatment-of-diseases.jpg

I clearly recognize that vacuum ElMag wave impedance is 376.73 Ohms and that is Universe basic constant, BUT every day I am measuring a different antenna parks thus I personally KNOW the antenna NEAR ZONE this figure is not working well. Thus, I will not be surprized up to breathlessneess if once one will show that exist some more exotic EM waves having large E and small H or other words with impedance of multitude-fold the normal one. Sorry that Maxwell equations system not support the said, but it not support the Mishin`s coils as well yet I have them working, yet my boss unrecommended to no-one never to tell this or worst of all - to write. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_of_free_space

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
300 km = 188 miles. At that distance, the curvature of the earth is a major problem, requiring significant height above the average terrain and very stable support structures. The technical issues regarding propagation sound like a fun thing to delve into, but the physical requirements will be very expensive.

ak

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
I would not call the stable support problem being the problem per se, when we are speaking of need for 10 kilometers high mast. The real issue is that material tension yield pressure demands about 800x800 kilometers a support pyramide to not crush the most strongest steel on the planet to just be the flowing powder. Never and no-one except the Jomolungma have been produced the 10 km high structures never in whole history. But may solve it by satellite, rocket, helium balloon, high altitude dron, airplane etc etc.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
PS You ought to remember the US had undersigned an international pact about sticking to SI system of units the same as russia, and both governments hundred years after is sill a midway. russians still are using units written in hieroglyphs and Americans are using a mistique miles, inches and pounds per square inches unspecifying WHICH miles they are thinking about - nautical miles, British miles, Swedish miles, Roman miles or some dozen of more exotic kind of miles differing with a factor of 1,5 to 2 one to each another except the Swedish with factor of 10

Last edited:

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
ah, ya, I had being calculating a certain anti-drone weapon some years ago at 2,4 GHz and 4,4 kW power. For height of 2 km the uM-wave intensity already fall down to the values not causing any permanent harm to microcircuits, but if nearer, the drone may be shoot off successfully. The outcome - 300 km is damn much.

Last edited:

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
I never had told the 300 km is long for a radio. Its long for very short milimeter range radiowaves going exclusively straight-line without of a least options to bend and having damn much atmospheric absorption factor (read - having a multitude resonances on the gas molecules vibrational energy levels). Simply, if 2,4 GHz with a 50 mW goes maximum maximorum 1 km (probably due the water vapor in the air), the 0,868 may easily beat the 3 km, but for 60 GHz to beat the 0,2 km is needed 200W (as one may know from 5G disputes). By the way, who told them not been used some E-belt reflections or anything else above the head to get that distance.

Never no-one may cancel the Infrared Raman Spectroscopy principle, even the simple molecules have need for order of magnitude higher frequencies. But air is full of pollutants containing macromolecules whose resonaces stay just in the region of interest (as well, even more in the human body). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_vibration and https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ransmittance_at_Mauna_Kea_(simulated).svg.png

More over, the energy of mm wave radiation is ca 1...0,1 mili eV, thus the number on negative ions have their electron affinity in the same range. It means, the atmospheric ions (but not the positive ones) may be depleted. Means the energy of wave may be effectively nullified in rather small distances.

Last edited: