MarXman Marking Tool, finally here and I'm chuffed...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
tempImageZzYhhy.gif

So, you can't get this thing outside the UK and I can't figure out why but I finally got mine after a long eBay shipping wait and—apropos of the UK origin—I'm chuffed. This is such a great idea and so much better than pens, pencils, or whatever for all sorts of boxes, straps, and the like. I can't wait to use it.

Here's the manufacturer's web page on it: https://www.gripitfixings.co.uk/products/marxman

Here's a video on how it works:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I find it very hard to hold up a box or fitting with one hand while using a punch and hammer with the other two.
What ever your putting up, like what is shown in your video holds the punch so you only need to use a hammer. I find it hard to hit the center of a chalk marked with any precision. But then I worked too many years in the trades.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
What ever your putting up, like what is shown in your video holds the punch so you only need to use a hammer. I find it hard to hit the center of a chalk marked with any precision. But then I worked too many years in the trades.
Electrical boxes and fittings will not retain a punch. I'm sorry that your long years in the trades made it hard for you to hit the center of a chalk mark, I've not had that problem.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
It reminds of my punch down tool for network wires, seems you could modify one to do the same thing I would think.

kv

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
This is such a great idea and so much better than pens, pencils, or whatever for all sorts of boxes, straps, and the like. I can't wait to use it
All I see is an inquisitive child jamming it in his brother's ear or more likely up his nose, I'll stick with my lawn darts.:p

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
That seems like a pretty useful tool. If it proves too much hassle to obtain, here are a couple of other useful tools.

#1. Auto Center Punch. With this you only need one hand, no hammer:

But, with that you can't put a mark through a thick board like shown with the Marxman. However...

#2. Long nose pattern marker.

I use both quite frequently and find them indispensable. I would like to give the Marxman a shot but I try not to get too attached to things that are a pain to obtain.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That seems like a pretty useful tool. If it proves too much hassle to obtain, here are a couple of other useful tools.

#1. Auto Center Punch. With this you only need one hand, no hammer:

But, with that you can't put a mark through a thick board like shown with the Marxman. However...

#2. Long nose pattern marker.

I use both quite frequently and find them indispensable. I would like to give the Marxman a shot but I try not to get too attached to things that are a pain to obtain.
I have seveveral automatic center punches, and I use them when they are suitable. This is for the times when I would use a markers like a Dixon long reach but it’s better.

The automatic punch is also useful after marking for some matrerials but with split point bits it’s not always needed.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have seveveral automatic center punches, and I use them when they are suitable. This is for the times when I would use a markers like a Dixon long reach but it’s bettter

The automatic punch is also useful after marking for some matrerials but with sap lit point bits it’s not always needed.
I'm sure it is better than a Dixon long reach marker. A Fast Cap Long Nose Pattern Marker is also better than Dixon Long reach. And this Marxman seems even better still. Let us know how it works once yours comes in.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I'm sure it is better than a Dixon long reach marker. A Fast Cap Long Nose Pattern Marker is also better than Dixon Long reach. And this Marxman seems even better still. Let us know how it works once yours comes in.
I've got it. and I tested it in vitro, so to speak, with good success. I will report back as soon as I get to use it in vivo.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I see said the blind man, started watching the video today. Since you and @strantor were talking markers, I was led to believe it was a punch, still cool though.

BTW, Chuffed, for those who don’t know (Chuffed = Very Pleased). Had to look that one up, not sure the origin because I live in the Mid West.

My day off, like it.

kv

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Electrical boxes and fittings will not retain a punch. I'm sorry that your long years in the trades made it hard for you to hit the center of a chalk mark, I've not had that problem.
The years in the trades also taught me how to measure and layout hole positions without holding the electrical box or fittings against the wall. I thought you were suggesting a big chalk dot for some type of precision. And your video showed him using thick wood that will hold a transfer punch.

I have 2 sons that are machinist and one that is a carpenter and none of use or any others doing the same type of work that I've known over the years use chalk to mark hole locations. Too easy to get wiped off.

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The years in the trades also taught me how to measure and layout hole positions without holding the electrical box or fittings against the wall. I thought you were suggesting a big chalk dot for some type of precision. And your video showed him using thick wood that will hold a transfer punch.

For better or worse things are done differently today by most tradespeople. Hanging a box, bracket, or fixture is an empirical thing using the thing to be mounted as the template if possible. Sometimes the mounting points, like keyhole slots, are not exposed through holes and so either a paper template is used or pure measured layout

But the majority of things hung on walls are marked through the openings in them. There is nothing wrong with using punches but for me, and apparently a lot of others, ink and now chalk are more suited. I do use an automatic center punch sometimes, but this is mostly to replace a pen not the punch.

I did say boxes, straps, and the like in the original post.