Man made disaster

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
Ohio trail derailment is a monumental disaster and getting no attention. Derailed train was even set on fire and burning for weeks while toxins are seeping into environment. EPA is again on the wrong side of the history, making this next in long line of mishandled cases, just like love canal or nuclear dump site
in STL. the vinyl chloride is a highly hazardous product, with maximum permissible dose of 1ppm per 8h. this train had 5 cars full of it, holding some estimated 30000-50000lb each. there is no report what was in the other cars. as the chemicals seep into the ground and water, animals are dying, people are getting, thick plume of smoke is darkening the sky for weeks ill and this is hardly mentioned. the question is what does it take to do something about it? "drink bottled water" is a lousy advice. this is rural area and people have animals. how do you get horses and cattle drink from plastic bottles?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
For something that is getting no attention and is hardly mentioned, I sure seem to be seeing a lot of coverage of it every time I turn on the TV and watch any of the news channels.

Saying that it has been burning for weeks seems a bit melodramatic. It hasn't even been a full two weeks since the train derailed and, as far as I can determine, the fire burned for several days, mostly in pits that were dug to contain and burn off chemicals instead of risking an uncontrolled explosion. They've screened hundreds of nearby homes (and continue to screen them) and have found no indications of any of the chemicals or the byproducts from the burn. Other than several thousand fish in the adjacent creek, they haven't found any other animals that have been harmed, although they are running tests on some animals that might have been. So far, drinking water tests have come back negative, but that can change. The company's already paid several million dollars (total) directly to nearby residents to offset immediate costs and there is already a class-action lawsuit that's been filed.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Wish we could talk about how, if a certain guy wasn't elected, things like this wouldn't happen today. A law was passed and it got reversed by someone. The law was about making rail cars hauling hazardous chemicals had to have an up grade to their brake systems.

I live about 30 miles from the town where the wreck happened. The night of the wreck there was a cell phone video of the train going by at a crossing. The brakes on one of the tank cars were locked up, causing a shower of sparks, and probably causing the wreck.

The legislation that got blocked was requiring train cars being switched to ECP(electronically controlled pneumatic brakes). I would give more information but my post would get deleted, so you can read for yourselves -
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=ecp+brakes+legislation
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=ecp+brakes

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Not a comment on the disaster itself: watching TV on those news I noticed the so many sets of axis/wheels that ended lying in a common place surrounded by the bodies of tanks. They seem like having been collected on purpose. ¿? Is it possible?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Not a comment on the disaster itself: watching TV on those news I noticed the so many sets of axis/wheels that ended lying in a common place surrounded by the bodies of tanks. They seem like having been collected on purpose. ¿? Is it possible?
No, they are too heavy to be collected without heavy equipment. It is common that the body (tank) becomes detached with lateral movement and the axels continue down the track.

The axles’ bearings slide into the slots on "trucks", restrained only by gravity historically. Some newer trucks have some pins to hold the axle but not all use them. The chassis (box or tank) sits on the trucks - there are a couple locator pins and a pivot pin (stout pin) for the truck to turn and stay on the track.

In event of a derailment, trucks and wheel-sets end up where inertia directs them.
here's a video...

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
I have to wonder if there is a video of locked up brakes floating around if anyone tried to report it? I once interviewed for a job with TTX and before every train left the yard they had to apply and release the brakes and check every car to make sure they were working right. I'm sure like with semi trucks and trailers a little bit of moisture in the lines and the right temperatures the valves may freeze and stick (more experience with this than I care to remember as a mechanic).

I know not every crossing has information posted, but most of the moderate or better traveled back roads have phone numbers, crossing IDs, and other information posted in my area. A simple phone call from and observant individual may have changed the course of history.

I think the media is covering it quite well, but I'm only a couple hours away so it's "local" enough for us here.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I have to wonder if there is a video of locked up brakes floating around if anyone tried to report it? I once interviewed for a job with TTX and before every train left the yard they had to apply and release the brakes and check every car to make sure they were working right. I'm sure like with semi trucks and trailers a little bit of moisture in the lines and the right temperatures the valves may freeze and stick (more experience with this than I care to remember as a mechanic).

I know not every crossing has information posted, but most of the moderate or better traveled back roads have phone numbers, crossing IDs, and other information posted in my area. A simple phone call from and observant individual may have changed the course of history.

I think the media is covering it quite well, but I'm only a couple hours away so it's "local" enough for us here.
You mean like this one? There are a bunch of unverified Ring Doorbell videos online but this one was verified and shown on several news outlets.
https://www.yahoo.com/now/video-shows-may-happened-cause-003558584.html

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
You mean like this one? There are a bunch of unverified Ring Doorbell videos online but this one was verified and shown on several news outlets.
https://www.yahoo.com/now/video-shows-may-happened-cause-003558584.html
I guess a doorbell video isn't going to be found until after the fact. I was thinking someone stood there and recorded it as it was going by.

I won't try to speculate, but I will say like with the trucking industry a lot of problems (at least 90%) could be avoided with proper pre and post trip inspections. Catastrophic failures just don't happen over the course of a few miles... it takes time.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I guess a doorbell video isn't going to be found until after the fact. I was thinking someone stood there and recorded it as it was going by.

I won't try to speculate, but I will say like with the trucking industry a lot of problems (at least 90%) could be avoided with proper pre and post trip inspections. Catastrophic failures just don't happen over the course of a few miles... it takes time.
The video I posted (in the Yahoo News link) is from a security camera of that specific train.

The train passed many homes equipped with ring doorbells. The authenticity has simply not been verified, yet. The Ring Doorbell videos are surely valid videos of one of the Hundreds (thousands?) of trains have sparking and overheated wheel bearings and pass homes every day. They have simply not been validated as being the train that derailed in East Palestine, OH.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
“Obama imposed stricter rules on trains carrying toxins. Trump killed them.”
https://www.politifact.com/factchec...era-safety-rule-high-hazard-trains-was-repea/
Your braver than me. I had a post deleted last week when a member reported me, he even said in his post he did it.

My question is when will reporting history, things that really happened and there is video to prove it no longer be considered "political" on this forum? Just because some/many "snowflakes" are on the forum doesn't make history wrong. They are just trying to rewrite it. Are they that ashamed for getting conned, by a conman?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Your braver than me. I had a post deleted last week when a member reported me, he even said in his post he did it.

My question is when will reporting history, things that really happened and there is video to prove it no longer be considered "political" on this forum? Just because some/many "snowflakes" are on the forum doesn't make history wrong. They are just trying to rewrite it. Are they that ashamed for getting conned, by a conman?
It's possible to post content that has "political" content if the post is even marginally on topic. When it's posted specifically to make a political point is usually the nexus of your post deletion issues. It's a simple concept.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
the reports state "no significant danger", "city water is safe to drink" etc. i can see that many are not buying that.
but the doubts can be easily dispelled if those that claim all is good move in for a week or two and use the same air and water they deemed safe.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
the reports state "no significant danger", "city water is safe to drink" etc. i can see that many are not buying that.
but the doubts can be easily dispelled if those that claim all is good move in for a week or two and use the same air and water they deemed safe.
Best if the authorities move in with their young children to prove its safe.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It's possible to post content that has "political" content if the post is even marginally on topic. When it's posted specifically to make a political point is usually the nexus of your post deletion issues. It's a simple concept.
It helps if you have a sense of humor or understand sarcasm. Guy.