• Sure! 720 at 60fps is better than 1080 at 30fps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah... bigger resolution always wins

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Hi all,

I am a terrible judge of what format I should record in as I always try to get the best result with the largest resolutions. However, I wonder how others on this site feel about 720 and 1080 video for youtube.

I can either record at
  • 1080 30fps DSLR
  • 720 30fps or 60 fps DSLR
I have a dedicated camcorder that can do 4K but this is at 25fps and the colour depth is not as nice as the DSLR.

So, would 720 footage bother you?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
So, would 720 footage bother you?
Usually no, and 720 is fine. My laptop is 1440 wide but I don't think I can detect any difference between 720 and 1080 footage at full screen. My plasma TV is 720 and I'm certain I can't tell the difference since my viewing distance is over 10 feet. If the files were similar size, more is better and I'd go for 1080 but of course the files are not even close in size.

Of course there are a bunch of folks with 4K televisions out there. If my footage involved beautiful scenery or sporting events where resolution might matter, I'd consider going for all the quality I can. In 10 years it'll look crappy otherwise. But for showing how to do a brake job on a Ford pickup, even 720 is overkill.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Hmmm sounds interesting. See my videos are all about electronics and anything to do with a circuit would be done with a close up anyway! Therefore, by that logic, 720 would be fine when I am demonstrating or talking to the camera about a topic

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hmmm sounds interesting. See my videos are all about electronics and anything to do with a circuit would be done with a close up anyway! Therefore, by that logic, 720 would be fine when I am demonstrating or talking to the camera about a topic
I agree completely that 720 would be fine for that. Things like lighting and composition will have a bigger impact than added resolution.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Depends on the material being presented.

Just like a jpg image, you can always record it at the highest and then reduce it. Then if in the future you have another need for that video, you will still have the high quality one.

In most cases 720 is fine. The youtube user can select a lower value when they view it.

I am just starting to tinker with video since the days of my old Powershot. I would think that frame rate would also be an important factor, at least for some electronic videos.

Can you link the same scene shot in 720 and 1080?

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I am just starting to tinker with video since the days of my old Powershot. I would think that frame rate would also be an important factor, at least for some electronic videos.

Can you link the same scene shot in 720 and 1080?
I dont have the same scene in two different shots. If I did 720 then I could shoot at 60fps but if I shoot 1080 then I have to stick with 30fps

I dont have the same scene in two different shots. If I did 720 then I could shoot at 60fps but if I shoot 1080 then I have to stick with 30fps
Again, I don't have much skill/expertise with video, but I have had some particular issues with the frame rate...including this morning. For what it's worth. The circuit below is a single chip color fader using a Pic1572 that I did several years ago. There is almost no flicker to the eye.

Now PWM is know to be a pain for cameras. I understand that. We had a thread about it here.

Here is the circuit taken a while ago using my old powershot at 30fps, low res.

Here is the same circuit, taken this morning using 1080 and 60fps.

You can see that the flicker is worse.

Not sure how much this contributes to your original question, but it is an issue for at least PWM. Also, I know on my camera, I can't control frame rate, except by selecting different formats

Last edited: