Making My Weller Well...er

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
My only experience with Weller irons was with the old Curie point magnetic thermostat type. One place I worked at the boss treated the workshop to a shiny new modern Weller iron - unfortunately it was rather fragile and the boss broke it before I got a chance to.

Good thing I remembered to pack my trusty Antex X25 along with my other tools.

to3metalcan

Joined Jul 20, 2014
To3metalcan
Did you ever determine if the IC was a TDA1023?
Nope, been busy with the repairs people actually pay me for. :) But I should have some time later on tonight to compare the two. I'm honestly pretty certain it is, even without looking again, but we'll know for sure soon!

hardyp3

Joined Jul 23, 2018
I appreciate your interest in repair vs throw away and have a pile of e-stuff in various stages of repair much to my spouse's dismay. One such item is my favorite old Weller WCC100 iron. It was a quiet day so I drug it out of the bin and have been poking around inside for an hour or so. I ran across your posting while looking for the Triac (thank you very much) and thought I'd ask if you ever succeeded in getting yours to work? While I'm awaiting a reply (not holding breath) I'll fire up the scope and see what I can see.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
@hardyp3
Welcome to AAC!
Normally, it's frowned upon to restart an old thread but soldering iron repair is a common issue so we'll let it run.
Let us know how the repair goes and welcome aboard!