Making cheap stereo. Do i need ground?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by str1fe, Sep 25, 2018.

1. str1fe

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Hi, i just bought a cheap amplifier board from ebay, and a power supply (24v). After connecting the wires i started wondering if i need to connect the earth cable. My power input cable has only two wires, and no ground, but the power supply have a ground input.

IMG_1834.JPG

The power supply looks almost like this in the front (sorry did not take pictures before i closed the box). I connected only to N and L, but not ground.
    strømforsyning.jpg

Do i need to have ground connected, is there some chance of danger if i do not connect it? Many of my wall sockets does not have ground in them

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    By rights You should have an earth ground on the P.S. terminal provided.
    Max.

-live wire- likes this.
  3. BR-549

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 22, 2013
    What country are you in?

4. str1fe

Feb 19, 2018
    Norway

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I seem to recall Norway has mainly 220v L & N but rarely grounded sockets, If using it this way , I would ensure the whole system is enclosed in a non metallic enclosure.
    Max.

6. paulktreg

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 2, 2008
    Your power supply isn't double insulated and includes an earth connection that should be connected.

However I see there are Type C (No earth) and Type F (Earth available) sockets in use in Norway. Connect the earth if you can or follow the advice of Max.

-live wire- likes this.
  7. str1fe

Feb 19, 2018
    Alright, thank you!

There are some knobs on the amp board which are made of metal, and the speaker connectors, otherwise the enclosure is made of mdf wood material. Perhaps i should attempt to cover up some of it with some epoxy silicone like sugru, to protect me.