Making big big sparks

icantalktosneks

Joined Apr 23, 2021
hello, I want to generate as big of a spark as I can, however, I have some limitations. I want this design to be portable so I don't have to lug a power supply around. My first thought was to use a ZVS driver. This worked in creating some smaller sparks (~1cm), however, these are not big enough and even then the ZVS driver draws huge amounts of current. I then thought of using a voltage multiplier, however, anything more than 4 stages makes the whole design kind of long and defeats the point of making the design portable.
I also seem to be unable to source any better centre-tapped transformers for the ZVS driver (right now it has a roughly 1:50 turn ratio).
So my question is, what is the best way to generate huge sparks taking into account that the design must be portable and as small as possible?

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
Where do you use this "small, and portable unit creating huge sparks", and what is its practical use case example?, before giving any design ideas for such potentially lethal/harmful device.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The higher the voltage (for bigger sparks) the greater the equipment size needed to avoid insulation breakdown.
Very true. A fellow I knew who designed high voltage power supplies for displays in fighter planes once said "In high voltage design the most important component is air." Unfortunately at the altitudes his displays were flown the air was pretty thin.

icantalktosneks

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Where do you use this "small, and portable unit creating huge sparks", and what is its practical use case example?, before giving any design ideas for such potentially lethal/harmful device.
I will not be using the sparks for ANY practical purpose. Im just doing this because i can

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Define "portable." A suitcase is portable. Do you mean "pocket size" and/or "concealable?" If that's what you mean then an off-the-shelf tazer should fit the bill. The fact that it doesn't, is a bit worrisome.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hard to say less a definition of big sparks. Big spark gaps require really high voltages. So in an effort to make this simple I suggest you start with a Google of "Jacobs Ladder Circuits". Yes, visions of mad scientist in a lab creating the monster Frankenstein. Old style neon sign transformers work well if you can find one. A trip to an auto parts store should find you some Packard 440 spark plug wire. I guess about any 7mm solid copper core ignition wire will work. Anyway, start with the Google I suggested as to a Jacobs Ladder.

Ron