Making an Espresso Machine

fancycoconut

Joined Nov 4, 2014
Howdy!
I am making my own espresso machine, from the bottom up, including CNCing my own grouphead.
I need a bit of help with the electrical side of things... The machine is centered around an arduino chip. The things I need to power are:
  • Arduino (5v)
  • water heating element (120v), and I have some questions about this, please see bellow
  • vibration pump (120v)
  • lcd screen (5v-12v)
  • 3way solenoid(s) (12v)
Some other things that will be present are temp sensors, some sort of water level sensors. I have been working with a guy on the Arduino forum with some design ideas, but I have a few questions that I think will be better suited for this forum. My boiler tank will be relatively small, probably around 20oz. I was thinking of using a standard 120v water heater element for this, do you all have any suggestions? Maybe something smaller in size? I will be heating the tank to about 201* F. This heater will be controlled by the arduino based on temp readings, so for that, should I use a SSR switcher?
Also, someone recommended getting a PSU to take care of all the different voltages I need? Is that what you guys recommend?
There are a billion more questions I could ask, but lets see where this goes...
Ethan

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would look at a small kettle element perhaps for 20 ozs.
A SSR would be good, you need some kind of simple PID control that starts switching on/off as the required temp approaches.
You can get a switching supply for the LCD & Arduino, and a small transformer and bridge rectifier for the solenoids, remember to use BEMF diodes across them.
Max.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You might consider finding an abandoned Keurig unit for parts. When they fail, it's almost always because of the control board which cannot be replaced. But the valves, heater, hot water chamber, air pump, and so on, will all likely still be working. They've just lost their brains.

BTW, I don't believe it's called espresso if it's not a steam extraction. 201°F isn't going to do it.

fancycoconut

Joined Nov 4, 2014
BTW, I don't believe it's called espresso if it's not a steam extraction. 201°F isn't going to do it.
No, the steam is totally separate. Most machines have a boiler with a coil of copper tubing inside that heats the water. They then choose to to utilize the steam build up for the milk.

I would look at a small kettle element perhaps for 20 ozs.
A SSR would be good, you need some kind of simple PID control that starts switching on/off as the required temp approaches.
You can get a switching supply for the LCD & Arduino, and a small transformer and bridge rectifier for the solenoids, remember to use BEMF diodes across them.
Max.
If only I understood what you just said :D ! Good point about the kettle.