making a fake IR camera

Phil-S

Joined Dec 4, 2015
Indeed, Motion sensor controlled bright lighting, installed high enough to not be tampered with, can be quite effective.
Yes, it is.
Fitted under the eaves and needs a ladder to access it.
One lights up the rear garden like daylight and one at the front covers the vehicle.
The PIR is a separate unit from the lamp, so I can choose the most appropriate positiuons and types.
Everything hardwired and no wireless.
The PIR is high up on the wall and I had to move it to avoid the heating boiler exhaust setting it off.
The PIR has a vertical curtain beam and a wider angle beam.
It has an alarm output which can be quite scary when it goes off.
The lamp is bright enough that you can't look directly at it, but I can look out of the windows.
Most of the time it's hedgehogs, sometimes cats and the occasional rat.
I did add an LED to the external control box, also high up, to show that it is working and it is present.
Unfortunately, the local police response to break- ins and follow-ups is patchy at best, and the council put saving a few pennies on street lighting a long way ahead of public safety.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The effective alternative for quite a few years was two pet dogs who were very light sleepers, and given to barking when strangers approached. Quite a few times in the middle of the night, all at once a flurry of barking, follwed by the sound of a car departing rapidly. Certainly they had earned their kibble again. But now it is the motion sensor and the "Bright sunlight"LED floodlights doing the job. A bit moore sensitive but not nearly so good at companionship.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
What has helped the thieving low life has been the local council decision to turn the street lighting off after midnight.
My city replaced all the streetlights with LED lights that produce lots of light and save money using less electricity than the old "heater" kind of lights. But they are on all day and all night because they do not know how to turn them off.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
My city replaced all the streetlights with LED lights that produce lots of light and save money using less electricity than the old "heater" kind of lights. But they are on all day and all night because they do not know how to turn them off.
This proves once again, that "You Can't Fix Stupid" since street light control should have been included with the purchase agreement.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Be sure to have the camera real or fake, wel out of reach so that it can not be stolen or vandalized. Last week I saw the posting of a masked fool stealing a security camera. He wore a mask but there was enough of his face showing for him to be identified and busted. The video also included the pickup that he arrived and left in. The guy was rather dumb.