Making a Chassis or otherwise mounting modules

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I've built a workshop vacuum switch project (mainly from details from a thread on here) and I now need to box it up. Basically there are a number of small modules, mains-in/mains-out terminal blocks, PSU, switch, a big fat relay and a circuit board. For other projects I generally mount stuff on the lid of the box and put the batteries in the bottom but this being a mains project the wires/insulation are thicker and all the modules are different sizes so I figured getting all the bits on a chassis and then putting that in a box would make wiring up easier.

So the question is, is there anything such as perforated plate or strip (e.g. like meccano) that I could bolt together to make a framework and then bolt the components down on to that? I've had a google around but I'm not sure I am using the right search terms. If not how do you rigidly mount random sized modules? I am trying to avoid a whole cutting/filing/drilling/folding metal work project.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm afraid that when you make electrical/electronic projects, a side effect is that you become a sheet metal worker. The last time I did this, I just grabbed a steel box from Godnose where and started drilling. The pre-punched metal sheets I know about just aren't strong enough to mount this quality of wiring safely.

Attachments

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
There are some larger plastic work boxes you could use. Here in the states the two major home centers both carry them, I don't know about the UK but I assume something similar. I find them in the aisle with the other fiddly bits for home wiring such as workboxes and outlets and breaker boxes.

These are various sized (from nice to HUGE) gray plastic boxes with screw on covers, possibly water resistant too. Not too expensive as I remember, I got a few for a project that died early and never bothered to return them.

I much prefer to work with plastic over metal. If all else fails I can hack a hole with a sharp knife blade.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Another advantage of a plastic housing is that it's not a conductor so any accidental contact of an internal wire to the case doesn't cause a shock hazard.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Thanks for the input, I was thinking metal box, it would be earthed and there is an RCD on the circuit. I've had a bit more of a play around and I think I can mount the PCB on the PSU and then as you say just screw the rest to the box

It's a bit of a wonder that there isn't some kind of system though, miniature version of this

or this