Making a Bluetooth GPS module for car

Status
Not open for further replies.

regdude

Joined Apr 18, 2013
Hi!

My car has a built-in GPS antenna and it is connected to my car's navigation.
My car also has a special coating, that absorbs UV light, but it also absorbs many EM signals (like GPS).
The problem is that the built in navigation is useless (no maps) and lacks a lot of features, so I prefer Waze on my phone, but there is no GPS signal in my car.

The only way I can think of (without changing my car's windows) how to make Waze working is to connect the car's GPS antenna to a Bluetooth module and pair the phone with it.

My question is... Is it possible?
Currently I'm just looking if there is something that would prevent this system from working.
The principle should be simple:
I get a working bluetooth GPS module, solder the car's GPS antenna to the bluetooth module, solder a voltage regulator (in case the module works in 5VDC) and solder a 12V cable from the car.

Everything seems fine, but could there be a problem with the "external antenna"?
I know that Wi-Fi antennas needs a specific inductance so you can't just "make the antenna longer with a cable". Are there similar problems with GPS antennas?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The owners of All About Circuits have elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised and however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.