MAF voltage Clamp

bearsbmw

Joined Oct 17, 2016
Looking to build a MAF voltage clamp circuit.

Source voltage = 12v DC
Signal range output = 0-5v

I need to clamp the signal voltage output at about 1.5volts . What is the best method to this?

Thanks in advance

bearsbmw

Joined Oct 17, 2016
It's going into the ECU but I'm going to run a three poll pressure switch that switches the signal from MAF to MAP at about 0.5psi . Sorry guys I'm a complete newb when it comes to electrical.

Thanks

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Below is the LTspice simulation of a clipper using a TL431 programmable voltage reference to provide a sharp and stable clip point.

It uses two opamps (all in one package) to buffer the input and output so there should be no concerns about loading the source or driving the load.

The first op amp has a gain of +2 to amplify the signal sufficiently to allow clipping by the 2.5v minimum clip point for the TL431.
The second op amp then has a 0.5 attenuator at its input to reduce the signal back to its original level.

The clip level is adjustable from about 1.25V to 1.75V at the output as shown, as determined by pot U1's setting and the value of R1.

The circuit requires just the 12V vehicle voltage for power.

upload_2016-10-18_1-26-51.png

Attachments

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
It's going into the ECU but I'm going to run a three poll pressure switch that switches the signal from MAF to MAP at about 0.5psi . Sorry guys I'm a complete newb when it comes to electrical.

Thanks
And what do you expect to gain from doing this? o_O

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Crutschow covered the uncertainties by using (2) op-amps. My circuit assumes you can find out what the impedances are and adjust accordingly. (It's all in that 10K resistor on the top line, which might not even be necessary.) If this was a production line model, mine would win for cheapest use of parts. As a one-time circuit for a tinkerer that might not know how to match impedances? Crutschow wins.

And what do you expect to gain from doing this? o_O
You and I approach this differently, but I can understand your point of view.

Trying to trick the injectors to give more fuel? When changing the size(pounds per hour) of injectors is the correct way.
I think changing the injectors won't fix anything in a modern car because the O2 sensor will just change the "fuel trim" (on time duration of the injectors). You have to fool the ECU.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I think changing the injectors won't fix anything in a modern car because the O2 sensor will just change the "fuel trim" (on time duration of the injectors). You have to fool the ECU.
I know that. but was looking at it from the OP's perspective. Many believe that "fooling" the MAP/MAF is the way to get more fuel, but duty cycle and pounds per hour and O2 sensor figure in. Running a low pounds per hour injector at almost 100% duty cycle will burn out many injectors. A higher pounds per hour injector at lower duty cycle is a better way to go.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Running a low pounds per hour injector at almost 100% duty cycle will burn out many injectors.
OK. You're in an area which I don't know very well.
I was thinking 10% on time becomes 15% on time would make a huge difference.
Running the injectors at 90% to 100%?
Definitely going to have some heat problems.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Trying to trick the injectors to give more fuel? When changing the size(pounds per hour) of injectors is the correct way.
To feed a modified engine or change A/F ratio?

If its A/F ratio the easiest way is to tweak the O2 sensor signals which is easily done with Germanium signal diodes to make them read a richer 12.5 -13:1 A/F ratio as being the leaner ~14.4:1 stoichiometric one the computer want to see.

To get more fuel through a smaller injector takes either more on time or higher fuel rail pressures which for the fuel rail pressure that can be cheated by modifying the fuel pressure regulator unit in one way or another which will be limited by whatever the fuel pumps own bypass valve limit is which could be as much as 150 - 200% of the nominal fuel rail set pressures you may have quite a bit of headroom to play with.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I can't give directions until I know where the person wants to go. Can you? o_O:p
When the question is simple enough, I just go into stupid mode and design a circuit. Investigating whether the customer is asking for what he NEEDS is a whole 'nuther conversation...which I usually don't bother with. In this case, I wouldn't know whether he's right if he explained it to me.:D

bearsbmw

Joined Oct 17, 2016
Guy's I'm simply running the MAF for off boost drive-ability and the map sensor for boost control. I have re-engineered the software calibration data in the stock ECU to accept these hardware changes.

Thanks for the help everyone