Mad Mike Hughes, a flat Earther, to try launching a steam powered rocket.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
this guy is a screwball.
Ya, the Article say's it all.

LOS ANGELES — He finally went up — just like the self-taught rocket scientist always pledged he would.

He came back down in one piece, too — a little dinged up and his steam-powered vessel a little "cracked up".
More like crack pot, but at least he shot himself skyward. Is he an astronut?, ahem, I mean Astronaut.

Why yes, he is. :D

kv

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Not to be overly morbid, but one report implied MMH was not in the rocket when it fell, but was pulled/thrown free when the parachute deployed. Anyone have a more detailed account?

A steam-powered rocket with the capacity for a man-sized payload is kinda cool. I’m not getting in one but I’d like to see it.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
I had no idea steam powered rockets existed .... there seem to be a number of different designs , some use on board batteries to heat the water into steam ....

It seems Mike's rocket had a pressure vessel containing super heated water ..VERY dangerous ...".... wanted it at 350 psi for maximum thrust, but it was dropping to 340. .."

Perhaps it's like the bottle rockets you pump up to a few atmospheres ... the pressurized air pushes the water out for thrust ...

Maybe in Mike's rocket the pressurized steam pushes out super-heated water which instantly turns to steam.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I had no idea steam powered rockets existed .... there seem to be a number of different designs , some use on board batteries to heat the water into steam ....
Steam is the final step before warp drive. This means Mike's future engine signature won't be detected by Vulcan's until much later.

According to a NYTimes interview, his publicist mentioned the following:

Mr. Hughes “didn’t really care if the Earth was flat, and was fully ready to concede his error once he could see it with his own eyes in a final stunt that he was working towards,” the post read.

Mr. Shuster, his publicist, maintained that Mr. Hughes’s professed flat-Earth beliefs were simply intended to garner money and publicity for his stunts.

In plain English, he was milking suckers.......

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/23/...806ee8b2b6c2d219d309c7d0&regi_id=371077490224

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
According to a NYTimes interview, his publicist mentioned the following:

Mr. Hughes “didn’t really care if the Earth was flat, and was fully ready to concede his error once he could see it with his own eyes in a final stunt that he was working towards,” the post read.

Mr. Shuster, his publicist, maintained that Mr. Hughes’s professed flat-Earth beliefs were simply intended to garner money and publicity for his stunts.

In plain English, he was milking suckers.......

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/23/...806ee8b2b6c2d219d309c7d0&regi_id=371077490224
I can think of much safer Con Games.