Mad Mike Hughes, a flat Earther, to try launching a steam powered rocket.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Forgot it was super bowl day, couldn't care less about it. I hate watching sports, it's about as dumb as climbing into a Steam Powered Rocket, BTW whats the Flat earth Theory have to do with it?

kv

Edit: Plus, don't like facebook, what a stupid name for a website.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://www.route66news.com/2018/02/...lay-mad-mike-hughes-rocket-launch-near-amboy/
Technical problems apparently prevented a scheduled rocket launch Saturday afternoon near Amboy, California, by adventurer and flat-Earth advocate “Mad” Mike Hughes.

People at the scene speculated Hughes might try to launch himself sometime during today’s Super Bowl, but Hughes in a video shot by a bystander seemed noncommittal until he could look at the rocket more thoroughly this morning.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I get a 'Not Now' option just under the green button. It then allows me to keep reading. Not much too see there anyway... Still no "Launch".
Markdem Tnx! I was poor totally blame-free victim (tears!) of LCD viewing angle restriction hiding low contrast print:(;)

Is that an ornithology show? :D
Alec_t LOL! So I didn't catch it at first, but now I can see it's just misstyping of Super Bowl:oops::D

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Eagles, only.

Birds aren't flying but some flying pigs will. I expect them to fly much better than the rocket.
Ah, I see now, I didn't read the title correctly. So, the guy believes in the flat earth theory, so will his rocket not fly to it's estimated destination or over shoot it completely since he can't calculate it, I'm trying to understand if the curvature of the earth will mess with a calculation based on a flat earth.

Here's one of my attempts at figuring that out, here's one of my googles cause I don't know how to do it. https://sciencing.com/calculate-maximum-velocity-6142475.html

kv

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So.... did the launch happen today?

I can't find anything one way or the other. But I certainly won't be surprised that something will come up to delay the launch again. Maybe a black cat crossing the road on the way to the launch site?
Gee. Technical problems. What a shocker!

He's just milking his "investors" for everything he can get -- at least in this case the investors deserve to be milked.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Had the chance to know someone, dedicated to conspiracy theories (Protocol of the Elders... and the like). Luckily one day he threw all overboard and is happier than before.

People doing illogical / non reasonable things for most of their life, when they approach the end, do they realize they spent the best of their time dedicated to BS? What an awful feeling....

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
I know several that are pretty far out there. Don't ever see them changing. If nothing else, they get more looney as the years go by.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
I've never met a flat earth believer in person and somehow managed to not even meet one online.

Also never met a vegan that nit-picked the choices at a BBQ or a feminist that is a bigot.

However I've met plenty of people(mostly online) that complain about those people...That is the real conspiracy ;)

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I know several that are pretty far out there. Don't ever see them changing. If nothing else, they get more looney as the years go by.
I once met a woman who did not believe that the moon landings had really happened.

I was tempted to quiz her to find out where in her reasoning chain she went fro belief to disbelief. For instance, did she believe that men had orbited the earth but had not gone to the moon. I then realized that this would only lead to insanity -- mine, that is.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Your describing my third wife, among other stuff she thought it was staged. Really? So I asked? tell me, how you have a cell phone and how does it work without a satellite? Hmm? how we can put a plane in the air and a satellite into space yet we can't land on the moon?

Good grief, sigh.

kv

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The fact the HE described it as "manning up" says quite a bit. If all the prior delays had been legitimate, I would have expected him to just say something like, "Everything finally came together so that we get thing thing off the ground." What is there to "man up" about if the delays are logistics and mechanics and weather?

None-the-less, he DID do it, so I'll give him a congrats and a head nod (and shake) for that. Still trying to figure out what the point was. If it was just a grins and giggles stunt to do it, fine.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
"mission accomplished"???

No it hasn't been.

So is the earth flat or not??? We might never no because Mike is keeping quiet on the issue.