Machines that creates a hole.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I don't know if my parents will give me a permission to do this kind of job.:DMy dad did not allow me to use soldering gun after he saw that it is smoking. He is afraid that it might hurt me.;)But I appreciate him then.:)

OK, now please give me a good machine (Oh, i mean handy tool not machine) that creates a hole. I want a neat hole. :D I'll use it for some of my projects. just for example, if i will put my switch. :D
for soft plastics and wood, you could physically twist a small screwdriver to 'bore' through. The problem is unless you have a new screwdriver or a means of sharpening one, most used ones are too 'dull'. Carefull not to slip or drive through into a body part.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Check with your parents about whether trying to wear or jab a hole through something with a screwdriver is safer than using a small electric drill or a hand cranked drill.

My method of dealing with the "twisting drill handle" problem is to buy a small, weak, quarter inch drill motor that can not overpower the muscles in my arm. I can stall one of those, bare handed. I definitely can not stall my half inch hammer drill and must always be willing to let it loose before it hurts me. Another advantage to this approch is that it teaches you to be patient and let the machine do the work rather than trying to force it faster than it can go.

Be very careful not to let the drill spin a piece of sheet metal into you. Clamp the victim down!

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Hello lightfire.

Whilst you can (and some people do) operate these type of cutters with powerful machinery that your parents quite rightly think is too much for you,

I deliberately offered these as they can also be operated more slowly perfectly safely.
You can also improvise your own cutter. For instance a nail banged through a length of wood will cut quite a neat round hole in thin material.

You could make you trepanning cutter by banging in two nails.
One nail is used as the centre and the other pushed (wound) round and round by hand will cut a deeper and deeper grove until you get through the material.

Use your imagination and ingenuity.

go well

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Do not try to hold work you are drilling with your hands, especially if it is a project box.

Use a vise instead.

If the work slips free it can gash flesh, break bones, or remove body parts like fingers. I've done the gash flesh thing, sometimes you have to learn by experience.
I just did that recently. I was drilling holes in 16(?) gauge steel for a project of mine. I wasn't thinking and was holding onto it with one hand and drilling with the other. The drill bit suddenly caught and spun the whole thing around, and one of the burred edges caught me in the middle finger on my right hand. Gashed it right open, and it didn't stop bleeding for about a day and a half.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Power tools are definitely something a parent needs to teach a kid. Even old fashoned tools with no wires can hurt you. I've lost more than my share of fingernails using hammers and files on different occasions. It was always my fault, but that is no consolation as I stood there bleeding. Give my Dad credit, he let me use all his tools. I think he was happy I was into kits, model airplanes (I designed more than one). Not too sure how he felt about model rockets, but he put up with them.

Model rockets are not truly made from scratch, for the OPs benefit you buy the motors and whatnot prepackaged from companies like Estes.

Last edited:

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Power tools are definitely something a parent needs to teach a kid. Even old fashoned tools with no wires can hurt you. I've lost more than my share of fingernails using hammers and files on different occasions. It was always my fault, but that is no consolation as I stood there bleeding. Give my Dad credit, he let me use all his tools. I think he was happy I was into kits, model airplanes (I designed more than one). Not too sure how he felt about model rockets, but he put up with them.

Model rockets are not truly made from scratch, for the OPs benefit you buy the motors and whatnot prepackaged from companies like Estes.
They can be done from scratch if you really want to. Tubes are cheap, and access to the chemicals isn't prohibited in any way and if you know what you're doing you can make the engines without too much trouble, they're really quite simple.

Rocket Boys (October Sky) is a great example, though they didn't use solid fuel engines, and they managed to machine nozzles and other things.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the reasons model rocket companies exist is their was a time kids (and adults) were literally blowing body parts off. It isn't safe to make your own engines, never has been. When it comes to this hobby, very few people know what they are doing, but they can do it safely with prepacked kits and parts. I suspect it is the reason you can buy what is essentially class 3 fireworks inside city limits and still use them. They are available from a wide variety of sources, including Walmart.

Have you ever done model rocketry?

But this is off topic, we can start a new thread if you want.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
They can be done from scratch if you really want to. Tubes are cheap, and access to the chemicals isn't prohibited in any way and if you know what you're doing you can make the engines without too much trouble, they're really quite simple.

Rocket Boys (October Sky) is a great example, though they didn't use solid fuel engines, and they managed to machine nozzles and other things.
I am hoping you are referring to the book, not the movie. I was actually in email contact with the real Homer Hickam for some time, and he explained all the things they did wrong in the movie. He also explained how dangerous making your own engines could be, and that (as Bill already said) many people were literally losing fingers and hands because of explosive materials. I would highly recommend buying engines rather than building them yourself.

But also as Bill already said, we're getting off topic :D
Der Strom

Joined Nov 30, 2010
When I had not decided which field of science to do, a few of us kids tried making small rockets. I am the only one of that crowd that did NOT maim or kill a sibling. That helped me decide on electronics as my long term interest.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Some of my schoolmates got into making fireworks. One got into trouble for blowing things up and was thrown out of school. Another lost most of the fingers on his dominant hand and very nearly lost the use of another important faculty.

He was carrying a glass jar containing a mixture best not described when it exploded, wrecking his hand and driving shards of glass into his lower abdomen. He got away with "just" the loss of some fingers, but could just as easily have been blinded, facially disfigured, emasculated or killed. As it was, he had some pretty grim scars and clearly had very much limited career prospects.