LTSpice freezing a lot

Robesim

Joined May 1, 2017
Hi,

I'm new to simulating circuits with a simulator. I've tried LTSpice which is not user friendly, especially for the beginner and TINA. TINA is more user friendly and very intuitive. I think i will go on with TINA because LTSpice freezes a lot and is wasting my time building the circuits from scratch again. I have some questions

A Is there a way to prevent LT Spice from freezing? If so i can go on using it.
B Are TINA and LT Spice being updated frequently with new models and is their development still going on? I am going to put lots of time in learning and i don't want to end up with a simulator which will be discontinued.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
A. What are you doing that is making it freeze?
B. Like a piano/guitar/drummer... player. Be ambidextrous in your field.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I've been using it for a decade and a half and in all that time I've never seen it freeze. What kind of machine running what OS do you have?
I believe the folks at LT will keep supporting it indefinitely,

Robesim

Joined May 1, 2017
I have a new dell laptop with windows 10. If i run the LTSpice simulator it freezes all of a sudden. Then i have to do end task to quit the program. Hope someone can help.

Robesim

Joined May 1, 2017
Hmmm I have already upgraded all my software, so going back to windows 7 or XP is a little bit of a bad idea now. I think i will continue using TINA and i will buy a second hand laptop with windows 7 and install LTSPICE on it. TINA is a breeze. LT Spice and TINA give exactly the same results for the small circuits i've tested so far.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I've been running LTspice using Windows 10 on both my HP laptop and HP desktop.
A very few times it has given me an error and I've had to reload the program but it happens only sporadically, not often enough to be annoying.
And, as I recall, the same thing would occasionally happen when I was running it on Windows 7.

What version of LTspice are you using?
There's version IV and XVII (don't know why such a gap between versions:confused:) so you might try the other version to see if that makes a difference.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You should post your problem to the Yahoo group for LTSpice. There are some very knowledgeable people there including Mike, the LTSpice developer who works at LT.

Robesim

Joined May 1, 2017
Ok i will post my problems to the yahoo group to hear what they have to say. This problem is very annoying, because i've wasted a lot of time building parts of circuits again if i forgot to save them. I use LTSpice 7.

Robesim

Joined May 1, 2017
It is quite common for simulations to take for ever and a day to run. Is that what you mean by 'freezing'?
No. the program stops running. It doesn't respond. The circuit i've tested is not a huge one. It is a simple one with a battery, a capacitor and a resistor.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I ran the transient analysis several times on LTspice XVII without a problem.
What analysis did you try to run?
You didn't include that with the .asc file.