LtSpice Design Query

ltspice1212

Joined Apr 2, 2021
hey guys I'm working on a professional circuit and want to know what simulator software companies used them to simulate their circuits before assembling ???????can I accesse them??????

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
The software that most industries use, per my knowledge (Cadence, Synopsys, ADS, ANSYS, CST Studio, etc), are far beyond the purchasing ability of any individual, and others like Multisim are kind of expensive and are frequently not perpetual licensed, but something like 1- or 2-year licenses.

HOWEVER, per @DickCappels' recommendation, LTSPICE is sufficient-enough to do a lot of (most?) simulations, is reasonably accurate, and is relatively expandable if you have the device SPICE models. It is still limited, so if you want to do any kind of VLSI design, you'll have a hard time doing so.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am a huge fan of LTspice, but here is the thing. LTspice is free, supported and maintained. What is difficult about depending on it in a professional environment is that you are responsible for the models of semiconductor components that you choose to use. The models that come with LTspice are mostly created and maintained by Analog Devices, and represent their product catalog. There is no global entity that guarantees the accuracy and suitability of any of the other models that you import to use with the simulator.

An apocryphal tale. There is a power transistor originally designed by Texas Instruments (TI) for which I have 16 different models from different sources. They all give different results. Which is the best one to use? Good question. There are four pretty good ones and the rest....meh.

That said, for spitballing ideas, or trying out concepts, using a simulator is great. Just understand that simulation and reality might be different. Sometimes the difference will be huge. There is no substitute for the bench.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Simulators use "typical" parts specs so that many circuits that work fine in the simulator fail when you buy normal parts that have minimum or maximum specs.
Simulators do not sense when a part is seriously overloaded. The simulator does not produce smoke but a real life circuit does.