Trying to design a colpitts oscillator but the LTspice model isnt generating a waveform

Molecular_Engine

Joined Feb 22, 2023
Hello, Im looking for anyone that may be able to help me figure out why my Colpitts oscillator simulation isn't generating a waveform. This circuit has already been tested as a prototype and generates the desired waveform, but for some reason, it won't do it for the simulation. I suspected that it may be the transistor model that was chosen to interfere with the simulation but I'm not sure. any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yeah. Oscillators require real components, and simulations with ideal components often have trouble getting started. The introduction of some noise or some parasitic components will often be enough, but every oscillator is different.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That circuit does not seem to have enough positive feedback to maintain oscillation.
I got it to oscillate by increasing the loop gain.

Molecular_Engine

Joined Feb 22, 2023
Hello, Im looking for anyone that may be able to help me figure out why my Colpitts oscillator simulation isn't generating a waveform. I suspected that it may be the transistor model that was chosen to interfere with the simulation but I'm not sure. any help would be greatly appreciated thank you. Maybe I haven't biased it correctly with the resistor values, but it also could be the value of the inductor I chose since I noticed that changed the output. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Hello, Im looking for anyone that may be able to help me figure out why my Colpitts oscillator simulation isn't generating a waveform. I suspected that it may be the transistor model that was chosen to interfere with the simulation but I'm not sure. any help would be greatly appreciated thank you. Maybe I haven't biased it correctly with the resistor values, but it also could be the value of the inductor I chose since I noticed that changed the output. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
1680800968102.png
* Select value of R4 for lowest distortion of sine.

Attachments