LtSpice and split supplies :-(

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Kind friends

Once again LtSpice has me beat:(:rolleyes:

Attached is a schematic file showing two series connected, independently excited, full wave 'voltage' doublers --The problem is that for non-zero values of R[bond] the results (i.e. E plots of 'Ea' and 'Ek') become increasingly erroneous with resistance until at ~ 500kΩ the simulation bombs altogether...

Any insights/workarounds will be greatly appreciated!:):):)

At your mercy
HP

Attachments

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Addendum: FWIW the intended function of R[Bond] is to establish a ground reference as per LtSpice's proclivities...

Again, many advance thanks!:)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
(interesting to find such a source in real life)
The sources are each secondary of a pair of LOPTS modified such that their EHT windings are 'floating' (i.e. well insulated from the core -- each end) an example of which is pictured below...

What output do you expect?
The actual output is a scant 100kV (Ea to Ek) with insignificant (~400V) ripple when loaded to 10 mA.

Modified LOPT

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I think it's a full wave voltage quadrupler but voltages look unusual.
I redrew the circuit.
Actually it's two independently excited full wave doublers connected in series -- The advantage of said arrangement being much lower EMF drop with loading (i.e. vastly improved current availability/ load regulation)... :)

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
OBTW --- In case I failed to make it clear -- the circuit as shown in post #1 works in reality (i.e. it produces a clean [scant] 50kV each side of Gnd) for slightly less than 100kV (Ea to Ek) It's merely not simulating correctly (which I am eager to understand inasmuch as, despite it's proclivities, LtSpice is a highly useful tool!:):):)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Try adding a connection from each voltage source (-) to ground.
Thanks! Your suggestion works:) --- Attached is the circuit revised as per your advice...

Why does it fail to simulate correctly as regards the original schematic?:confused:

Best regards
HP
Oops! Spoke too soon!:( -- Now the simulation runs wild when R[Bond] is opened (removed) --- 4.4MV! - If only....:cool:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Please have a look at this modification with attention to current through R1 and Rload ---- That fact that I(Rload) is clean whereas I(R1) is unrealistically noisy would seem to suggest LtSpice is incorrectly reacting to phase differences in the signal sources?:confused:

Merely grasping at straws :confused::confused::confused:

Best regards
HP

Attachments

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Are the voltage sources actually transformer secondaries?
and, if so, is each xfmr output meant to be 25kv Pk-Pk?
Correct - Said transformers are modified such that the secondaries are isolated from the cores/frames to at least 100kV -- FWIW the drivers are standard resonant Royer topology (hence sinusoidal output) -- as a practical matter 500w is about the limit, hence a 20MΩ (i.e. 5mA) load @ 100kV would be more reasonable.

As implemented, the two doublers are connected via a 0-20 mA D'arsonval indicator (represented on the attached schematic by a 2Ω resistor)... The attached version both works and 'simulates' albeit less than 'elegant'... For safety the 'ungrounded' side of the indicator is returned to ground via an MOV (not shown)...

I'm keen to understand the 'mechanics' of LtSpice's 'quirks' in this regard such that I may know what to expect in future simulations:cool: --- Any further input is both welcome and earnestly requested!:):):)

Best regards & many thanks!
HP:)

Attachments

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I'm keen to understand the 'mechanics' of LtSpice's 'quirks' in this regard such that I may know what to expect in future simulations:cool:
HP what part of digital model not perfect to analog world do you not understand:rolleyes:? Discontinuous investigation of continuous phenom would need infinite data and time! So lighten up it not end of world:rolleyes:! Bad sim run maybe cuz of nonlinear diode junctions or like you say phase difference of ac exciters at critical sample points! Who knows? Who cares? I say be happy psu works in real world is good enough! Also why grounded ma meter not elegant?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hi

Give this one a try...
Indeed, single transformer/single driver arrangements have advantages, especially in the way of component count and maintenance of symmetry -- Unfortunately such would require fabrication of a 'custom' core - a service which, as far as I have been able to discover, is unavailable for small quantities... (If curious, please see post #8 for an image of the physical transformer topology)...

Inasmuch as the circuits function correctly (in reality), I am principally interested in understanding the nature of LtSpice's difficulty with the 'problem' schematics --- I require sufficient knowledge of LtSpice's 'limitations' such that I may confidently interpret results for complex designs where inaccuracies may not be self evident.

Sincere thanks for your time and effort on my behalf!!!:)

Best regards
HP