LTspice and font size

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Symbols in the CD4000 model library have a default font size of 0.65, whereas symbols generally have a more useful default font size of 1.
A while back there was a workaround to over-ride the 0.65 and raise it to 1. This involved adding an argument to the command line when invoking an instance of LTspice. Since re-installing LTspice I have lost this workaround. Can anyone recall what it was?

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
-FixUpSchematicFonts
Convert the font size field of very old user-authored schematic text to
the modern default.

-FixUpSymbolFonts
Convert the font size field of very old user-authored symbols to the
modern default.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Many noobs make the LTspice schematic as large as my neighborhood with huge spaces between parts. Then the text font is tiny when the schematic size is reduced.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Thanks eetech! Seems to work with the re-installed LTS. Next question: is there any way to enlarge text in the parameter-editing drop-down boxes?
On a side-note, I see LTS now puts files in the user's AppData path instead of Documents as previously. When did this new behaviour start?

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Next question: is there any way to enlarge text in the parameter-editing drop-down boxes?
Not sure what you mean:
"parameter-editing drop-down boxes"

On a side-note, I see LTS now puts files in the user's AppData path instead of Documents as previously. When did this new behaviour start?
It started with LTspice 24.0.n

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
That's the problem: AFAIK there is no choice, and the pop-up box can't be re-sized. The single-font characters were probably easily seen back in the day when screen resolution was 640 x 480 pixels, but are barely distinguishable to my old eyes on a modern PC/laptop with much higher screen resolution.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Thanks anyway. Must just be my vision/preference. I've today updated to LTs version 25.0.12 and am still disappointed that the component attribute-editor boxes and their text can't be enlarged.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Thanks anyway. Must just be my vision/preference. I've today updated to LTs version 25.0.12 and am still disappointed that the component attribute-editor boxes and their text can't be enlarged.
Ok...I think you're referring to the size of text displayed in popup windows (like the component editor).

Try changing the windows system text size:
Rht-click anywhere in display area --> Display Settings --> Scale and Layout --> Change the size of text, apps and other items

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
But it doesn't. I tried setting text size at 200%, LTS allows changing text size of comments and component designators on a schematic, but doesn't scale text in the editing boxes.

Edit:
Just came across this reply from a LTspice24 query on the ADI EngineerZone site:
1714056641022.png
So, it looks as though scaling text in the edit windows (boxes) is still on AD's 'to do' list.

Last edited:

TanjB

Joined May 2, 2024
Symbols in the CD4000 model library have a default font size of 0.65, whereas symbols generally have a more useful default font size of 1.
You can also fix the problem in the symbol definitions that give this problem. Look for statements like:
WINDOW 0 56 32 Left 0
WINDOW 3 56 72 Left 0

in the symbol and change it to
WINDOW 0 56 32 Left 2
WINDOW 3 56 72 Left 2

The numbers 0 and 2 appear to be choices from the drop down menu you see when you right click on the text in the design window. 0 gives the 0.65 size and 2 gives the default (1.5) size.