ltspice 120v 15a wall outlet

bootlegengineer

Joined Dec 5, 2016
Hi! Im trying to simulate a standard 120v 15a wall outlet as a power source in ltspice so that I can analyze the voltage and current waveform behavior at the dc end of a synchronous rectifier, which receives a stepped down voltage and stepped up current from a transformer. I'm trying really hard to understand voltage and current power supplies in ltspice but cant seem to grasp the usage of most of the parameters they use. I've tried to combine a current and voltage source in parallel and in the voltage source, set function to sine, phi to 180, amplitude to 120, and freq to 60, and in the current source, set function to sine, phi to 180, amplitude to 15, and freq to 60, but all that did was create a really weird noise wave on the waveform screen when I simulated it.

also I don't really care about the circuit being ideal atm. I just want it to work for now.

any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've been trying to get this to work for weeks. :/

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
There is no current limit on the wall plug. It should just be a voltage source. The limitations of the wall plug is due to the wire ampacity and breaker. Current is drawn by what you plug in to the circuit. If the current requirement is higher than the wires... your wires burn... if it's protected by the breaker your fuse pops...

I'm not great on LTSpice... just an observation.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Yes, simply use a voltage. The amplitude should be 170 since it is peak amplitude, not RMS. The frquency should be 60. All other parameters can be left unset.

Bob

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi! Im trying to simulate a standard 120v 15a wall outlet as a power source in ltspice so that I can analyze the voltage and current waveform behavior at the dc end of a synchronous rectifier, which receives a stepped down voltage and stepped up current from a transformer. I'm trying really hard to understand voltage and current power supplies in ltspice but cant seem to grasp the usage of most of the parameters they use. I've tried to combine a current and voltage source in parallel and in the voltage source, set function to sine, phi to 180, amplitude to 120, and freq to 60, and in the current source, set function to sine, phi to 180, amplitude to 15, and freq to 60, but all that did was create a really weird noise wave on the waveform screen when I simulated it.

also I don't really care about the circuit being ideal atm. I just want it to work for now.

any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've been trying to get this to work for weeks. :/
I'm really curious about what you have been trying to get to work for weeks that hasn't. Care to share?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I see that for a simulation you will need to specify a source impedance, and I suggest one ohm, although the 15 amp fuse will limit the current to less than that. But for the first millisecond the effective impedance is low, it rises when the fuse opens. And you will need a source impedance term for the simulation that you are trying to do. And I also wonder what you are attempting to achieve.