LTC1799 Ripple in Oscillating Wave Output

Aatreya97

Joined Jan 17, 2019
I'm using an LTC1799 Precision Oscillator chip. The desired timing waveform for my system is 22Mhz. However, the 22MHz output from the LTC1799 has ripples at the max and min voltage values. Additionally, the signal takes a long time to transition from low to high and vice versa.

Ripple in 22MHz waveform.jpg

Not sure why this happening or how to fix it. The datasheet says the output signal frequency can go up to 33MHz and has a frequency error of less than 1.5% for frequencies less than 20MHz (should apply for a frequency just about 20MHz I'm guessing). I'm open to adding additional circuitry or using a different timing chip if that what it takes. Any help would be appreciated!

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
In fact, the ringing may not be. This is observed when you connect an oscilloscope. Once upon a time I was developing a microchip, which included the former. So, on the osillograph there was a ringing. Then, instead of an oscilloscope cable, ordinary wire was used. In this case there was no ringing.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
It looks right at spec to me. Does frequency error mean waveform error? The waveform seems to match the manufacturer's device under test.

Do you need to be able to adjust frequency?

TANDBERGEREN

Joined Jan 20, 2014
Can you suggest any high-frequency output oscillator chips that give an output with less ringing? For my purposes, the ringing given by the LTC1799 output is too much for my system.

The easiest way is to buy a 22MHz crystal, and use the schmitt-trigger as a oscillator.
I would recommend the SN74LVC1G17 (2 off)

Otherwise, some examples here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw0EJmVB4elNIaEXGpYd1Lrb&ust=1547916433777894

Remember, the sinousidal oscillators also may be fed into a schmiott-trigger.