Low voltage dc supply to high voltage low current output

stvnben8

Joined Sep 26, 2018
Hi
I am a electronics student struggling to understand how a MIT420 is able to produce an output of >1000V from a 7.5V DC supply.

There is some good information explaining how the hand cranked meggers work using a dynamo and coils, but I can't find a good explanation for an electronic megger.

I have looked into DC-DC boost convertor and transistor operated amplifiers, but it is not immediate obvious which it uses if any.

Any ideas?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
It has an oscillator inside similar to a camera flash, which charges a capacitor up with DC to approx 500V, however it's low current..

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Typically this kind of converter uses a blocking oscillator / flyback type circuit. A transformer (or autotransformer) steps tup the low voltage primary side waveform (squarewave of something similar) to a much higher voltage (and lower current) across the secondary. This is then rectified or not,depending on the application.

For example, camera flash tube circuits, that start out at a low frequency and then go higher and higher in pitch as the flash capacitor charges up, usually use a blocking oscillator. It is a very simple circuit with very few parts and almost no brains.

ak