Low voltage arcing in micro circuits

kazbert

Joined Sep 26, 2017
My specialty is mechanical engr, not electrical, but I have a project with electrical arcing being an issue so I have to reach out to others.

I have an electrical circuit that failed, with arcing the suspected culprit since the wires were melted and sometimes the wires get a little bent out of shape during manufacturing. The gold wires are extremely small with a diameter of only 0.0015", a length of only 0.044", and a nominal spacing between wires of 0.0045" (gap of 0.003"). I can calculate the deflection under a static load. What I don't know is how close these wires can get to each other (or a ground bus) before arcing. I have found equations online, but the voltages involved in the examples are usually in excess of 1000 V, and I am more likely in the range of 3-to-24 VDC.

Are those equations equally valid at low voltages, or is there a voltage below which you have to make contact?

The deflections under load that I'm calculating are on the order of only 1E-6 inches, but I have seen wires bent such that they very nearly touch adjacent wires. I understand that the surrounding atmosphere matters. I am investigating if the circuit while under operation is in a vacuum, air, or some kind of dry noble gas under pressure.

Thanks!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Vacuum should be more insulating than air. A noble gas might make things worse, since they can still ionize (think neon light).

Arcs can form spontaneously when the electric field exceeds ~10kV per inch. That's my old rule of thumb but we had a fairly long discussion on this topic a while back and I remember learning that my rule-of-thumg wasn't terribly useful. I'll see if I can find it. But nevertheless, I believe arc formation depends on field strength and not so much on scale.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
According to this, the field strength needed for break-down in air is about 3E6 V/m.
Thus for 24V, the air would break-down and arc at a distance of 24 / 3E6 = 8μm (basically they have to nearly touch).
upload_2017-9-26_14-24-8.png

kazbert

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Vacuum should be more insulating than air. A noble gas might make things worse, since they can still ionize (think neon light).

Arcs can form spontaneously when the electric field exceeds ~10kV per inch. That's my old rule of thumb but we had a fairly long discussion on this topic a while back and I remember learning that my rule-of-thumg wasn't terribly useful. I'll see if I can find it. But nevertheless, I believe arc formation depends on field strength and not so much on scale.
I can find a lot of info regarding high voltage arcing, but very little regarding low voltages. I have some prior experience with high voltage arcing since I once worked at General Electric designing discharge-based lighting. I just don't know how valid the equations are at low voltages. There just seems to be an assumption that if there is arcing then there is are high voltages involved.