Low gain on headset microphone

Mike mair 123

Joined Sep 23, 2014
Hi,
I am having a problem with an Avaya telephone and headset. I need to amplify the electret microphone with a preamp cct but can not use an external battery or power supply.
Any ideas..

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Electrets utilize a bias current usually supplied by the device the microphone is connected to. What is the mic connected to?

Mike mair 123

Joined Sep 23, 2014
Electrets utilize a bias current usually supplied by the device the microphone is connected to. What is the mic connected to?
Hi tanks for your reply.
The microphone is connected to the telephone headset input which has an RJ 9 socket. The bias voltage I supplied from this port. if I amplify the mic with an pomp cct it works well but I need an external battery to power the circuit.
Hope this helps

Mike mair 123

Joined Sep 23, 2014
Hi tanks for your reply.
The microphone is connected to the telephone headset input which has an RJ 9 socket. The bias voltage I supplied from this port. if I amplify the mic with an pomp cct it works well but I need an external battery to power the circuit.
Hope this helps
Sorry that should have read op amp

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is the electret mic ultimately connected to a standard phone line? If so, the phone line provides the operating bias. There is plenty of voltage/current available from a standard phone-line to run the electret and a follow-0n amplifier stage.

Mike mair 123

Joined Sep 23, 2014
Is the electret mic ultimately connected to a standard phone line? If so, the phone line provides the operating bias. There is plenty of voltage/current available from a standard phone-line to run the electret and a follow-0n amplifier stage.
The phone has a digital interface so it does not have power on it. I will test to see where the phone power is comming from and see if I can tap into it. I do know that some headset suppliers use an inline amp cable that derives the power from the microphone line. Prob with this is that the amplification is limited to what can be taken from the mic input. I would like to know how they do this as there are only 2 wires running to the mic. The audio is obviously superimposed on to the power lines and then decoupled inside the phone unit for further processing.