Loop Impedance Tester

marcuswareham

Joined May 11, 2020
Hi, First time here.

I am looking to make a similar device to a plug in loop impedance socket tester like this:

https://martindale-electric.co.uk/product/ez150-eze-check-xtra-earth-loop-impedance-indicator/

I would like to make one with LEDs with different ranges and built into a 16A CEEform connector

What circuit could I use to measure loop impedance of a live 230V AC circuit, need to know the impedance from phase to earth/neutral though the transformer/substation (I currently have a fluke 1662 tester which can do this, but looking to make a compact plug-in style tester)

I have experience making electrical projects before and have used Picaxe alot, but I am no genuine on the subject

Many thanks

Marcus

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
First you need to define at what frequency you want to know the loop impedance. I am guessing that it is at the mains frequency, either 50 or 60 HZ. And then, WHY do you want to know? And how close to correct does the answer have to be? And what definition of loop impedance are you using?

marcuswareham

Joined May 11, 2020
First you need to define at what frequency you want to know the loop impedance. I am guessing that it is at the mains frequency, either 50 or 60 HZ. And then, WHY do you want to know? And how close to correct does the answer have to be? And what definition of loop impedance are you using?
at 50hz, UK mains frequency

I would like to make this because I work as a temporary electrical system electrician, although I have a fluke multifunction tester which can perform loop impedance tests on live mains. It would be extremely handy to have a very small portable one that can be used when climbing in a harness etc.

I was looking to uses the 13a plug in style ones but the ranges are too large, I would like to have an LED for <0.2ohm, <0.4ohm, <0.6ohm, <0.8ohm, <1ohm, <10ohm, >11ohm

does that make sense?

effectively I am asking what is the circuit inside the device in the link i posted

Thanks

Marcus