Looking for the name of a simple connector

FuneralHomeJanitor

Joined Oct 12, 2019
Hey everyone, this is probably a really simple question yet I can’t seem to find what I am looking for. Does anyone know the technical name of the connector where there is a plastic nut(usually with a banana plug jack on top if I recall) and you can put the wire underneath then tighten the nut down to complete the circuit? I have seen these on several different breadboards.

also if anyone has any other suggestions that are similar as far as connections go, please share. My goal is to cut the USB connector off of a light and use screw in connectors to connect it to different circuits on a little diy pcb board, such as one I may make with a 555 timer, relay, or use arduino with to control different effects with the light. I would like to have the option of being able to unscrew the wires of the light and use it in many different ways, or to be able to connect a different load that uses 2 wires besides the light I refer to. Thanks in advance.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
These are called banana binding posts.

1676551556655.png

I don't know what you mean by cutting off a USB connector.
USB does not work well on bare wires because of the high frequency signalling.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
also if anyone has any other suggestions that are similar as far as connections go, please share. My goal is to cut the USB connector off of a light and use screw in connectors to connect it to different circuits on a little diy pcb board,
Try THIS USB breakout cable from Adafruit. If you include headers on your PCB, it is easy to connect to USB.
EC4449BD-7A6C-4333-9E4F-A6C437E01BBE.jpeg