looking for PIC programmer

telerobi

Joined May 25, 2014
dears,
I have a (little) dream of realizing a low consumption electronic circuit, powered by 1 or max 2 AA battery / ies. This circuit should put on and/or off some leds (6 leds) at a certain time. I have realized myself something like that with Arduino, but I should now learn a lot of things to be able to have it done with a small PIC. Is there an online "electronic shop" which can do it for me?
Thank you!

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
Not quite sure what you are looking for but MikroElektronika have a wide range of PIC related electronics. I wouldn't expect to find a module that does exactly what you want though.

Making a breadboard version of what you want would be pretty easy I would think.

One option would be to assemble your own electronics, write code using the free version of the compiler from MikroElektronika as your code won't be very large. Then program with something like a PICkit3 as they are pretty cheap.

telerobi

Joined May 25, 2014
thank you for your answer! I think it is in the right direction. MikroElektronika was not known to me, I was looking into their web page but was not able to find the "PICkit3" you mentioned. Could you please give me a link for it? And also a link for the "free version of the compiler"?
Thanks

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Pickit is available direct from Microchip.
They probably have a package that includes a small testboard like my Pickit II did,
and it will come with MPLAB and programmer software on CD.

If you have to buy a pic I'd start with 16F628A for something like that.
You'll probably get a couple of free samples, again, from Microchip.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
When you say "PIC programmer", are you referring to Microchip PIC specifically or do you mean any microcontroller in general?

Also by "programmer" do you mean a person to do a custom design for you or the piece of hardware that allows you to program a microcontroller chip?

telerobi

Joined May 25, 2014
Thank you for your answers.
I am looking for someone to do it for me; I imagine that someone expert can tell me to buy the PIC xxxxxxx. I can send it to him and he can send it back to me programmed. When I receive it, I connect the pins to the leds and to the batteries.
If this "someone" is a shop, there will be a bill to pay for the job. If it is a person who does it for hobby, I will send him a little present.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I was looking into their web page but was not able to find the "PICkit3" you mentioned. Could you please give me a link for it? And also a link for the "free version of the compiler"?
Thanks
Look here http://www.microchip.com/Developmenttools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=PG164130

If you get this kit, you have everything you need to program and make your project, and you don't have to depend on someone else to do it:

https://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?keywords=DV164131

Last edited:

telerobi

Joined May 25, 2014
Thank you for your answers.
The PICkit 3 In-Circuit Debugger seems to be good for realizing what I have in mind. But I should first learn how to program it using MPLAB IDE. I would prefer to avoid so much learning work and go biking instead. For an expert it should be an easy job to do.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I would prefer to avoid so much learning work and go biking instead.
Then you've come to the wrong place. This is a place for learning.

I recommend MPLABX. However, use C18 compiler and not XC8. You can download a good tutorial and be running code the same day.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I agree with Brownout--You are not going to get someone to do all your work for you. We're here to teach you, not to just give you stuff. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be willing to help you do it yourself, but I doubt people would be willing to do your work for you.

It's like the classic saying:

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime.
I, for one, am not going to give you fish. However, I will teach you how to catch the fish on your own. Trust me, it's a win-win.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
You could start a thread asking to pay someone to do the programming and circuit design for you.

A tiny circuit to flash 6 LEDs in a timed pattern should be a simple project for a skilled person, and should not cost you very much.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Have a look at this: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41370C.pdf This is what I used when I got started. One caveat: this describes MPLAB, but most have moved to MPLABX. If you're using a 64-bit computer, I'm not even sure you can run MPLAB. That's why I switched, if I remember correctly.

IDK if there is a version of the tutorial for MPLABX. You might try searching, Microchip. I'll do a little digging myself.