Looking for IR LED circuit,

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi L,
To get you started, use a simple IR receiver module, then load the IR Codes sketch I posted in an Arduino.
Then point one of your Remote transmitter modules at the IR receiver diode, about 3 ft away, press a remote button and the Arduino IDE serial monitor should print the Code Type it is using.

Tables for the Coding type are available on YouTube.
E

Using a TSOP as an RX detector may be a problem, it will require some testing.
You could try it with the above Sketch, post what you get.
I may have a TSOP 'somewhere' in stock.:)

Update:

Have you seen this,
https://www.instructables.com/Infrared-Remote-and-IR-Receiver-TSOP1738-With-Ardu/

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Laodam.
I have one of these keypad remote control units, ref video and a couple of TSOP1838's.
So if you have a Sketch, we can compare results with TSOP's
E
Updated:
Fully tested with a TSOP1838, Arduino UNO and a number of Remote Controls, OK.

Last edited:

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
hi Laodam.
I have one of these keypad remote control units, ref video and a couple of TSOP1838's.
So if you have a Sketch, we can compare results with TSOP's
E
Updated:
Fully tested with a TSOP1838, Arduino UNO and a number of Remote Controls, OK.

Thank you ericgibbs.
I did quite few of remoter test a month ago, all of them received good results by TSOP1838. I will go find the code I used to compare yours above.

Now my question is how to use a IR LED instead of a remoter as a sender to send signal.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
hi L.
Do you have the receiver Sketch working with any remote sender.?
E
Thank you ericgibbs.
Yes, I did few of that work well with remoters.
One of it is the Arduino Example 'SimpleReceiver' from 'IRremote' library.
The same sketch doesn't receive my IR LED sender at all.
I also tested the Example 'SimpleSender' from the same library. but the receiver result seems not what I need?

SimpleReceiver serial monitor of NEC remoter:
sm_SimpleReceiver_NEC.JPG

SimpleReceiver for SimpleSender:
sm_SimpleReceiver_SS.JPG

BTW.
This sending code works well, got receiver:
Protocol=NEC Address=0x102 Command=0x34 Repeat gap=47500us

Code:
void loop() {

if (digitalRead(button) == HIGH) {
    // Results for the first loop to: Protocol=NEC Address=0x102 Command=0x34 Raw-Data=0xCB340102 (32 bits)

uint16_t sAddress = 0x0102;
    uint8_t sCommand = 0x34;
    uint8_t sRepeats = 1;

IrSender.sendNEC(sAddress, sCommand, sRepeats);
    /////   IrSender.sendSony(0x0, 0);  ///// WAS:  irsend.sendSony(0x0, 0);
    delay(2000);
  }
}
This code doesn't receiver that results, why?

Code:
void loop() {

if (digitalRead(button) == HIGH) {
    // Results for the first loop to: Protocol=NEC Address=0x102 Command=0x34 Raw-Data=0xCB340102 (32 bits)

uint16_t sAddress = 0x0102;
    uint8_t sCommand = 0x34;
    uint8_t sRepeats = 1;

/////   IrSender.sendSony(0x0, 0);  ///// WAS:  irsend.sendSony(0x0, 0);
    delay(2000);

sAddress = 0x80;
     sCommand = 0x45;
     sRepeats = 1;

delay(1000);

}
}

Last edited:

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
I have tested few of IR LED or modules, seems all of them working at very short distance, mostly from few cm up to 1 meter. are there any long distance ir transmitter, say 5 meters? OR how can increase its transmitter distance?
Thanks
Adam

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Hi Adam,
With IR LED's having a Vfwd of about 1.2V you can have two in series from 3v, doubling the IR light output.
Many home TV remotes have two emitters.
E
https://www.digikey.co.uk/catalog/en/partgroup/3mm-infrared-led-emitters/11333
Thank you ericgibbs.
I'll test it out.
I got a little confused of:

1. used IR LED as sender and IR photoresistor as receiver, seems can only receive an analog signal?
my test shown a reading varies with distance, but a short distance say 0.5M, how to increase it?

2. used IR LED or module as sender and IR module like TSOP1838 as receiver can decode and receive different code, right?
my test shown this type can transmission upto 5meters. But seems can't get reading varies with distance?

Last edited:

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Are you aware of the beam angle of an LED? As you can from the first diagram of a particular LED that there is a reduction in intensity directly in front of the LED which may seem counterintuitive. The second diagram has a "narrow beam angle".
Thank you k1ng 1337.
Actually what I expected is a emitter area of a sector of 0-180 degree like your first picture all. seems can only get it by mount many LEDs fan-shaped?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Adam,
IR LED as sender and IR photoresistor as receiver, seems can only receive an analog signal?
Yes I would expect that when using a simple IR receiver.

2. used IR LED or module as sender and IR module like TSOP1838 as receiver can decode and receive different code, right?

Yes, you can use that sketch I posted to see the codes on the IDE serial monitor.

my test shown this type can transmission upto 5meters. But seems can't get reading varies with distance

I would say 5mtrs is a good range, what part of the reading varies with distance.?
E

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
hi Adam,
IR LED as sender and IR photoresistor as receiver, seems can only receive an analog signal?
Yes I would expect that when using a simple IR receiver.

Yes, you can use that sketch I posted to see the codes on the IDE serial monitor.

my test shown this type can transmission upto 5meters. But seems can't get reading varies with distance

I would say 5mtrs is a good range, what part of the reading varies with distance.?
E
Thank you ericgibbs.
1. The second type's 5 mtrs is good, can it also show reading varies with distance in any way like the first type's ?

2. the first type analog value reading varies with distance is what I think I need now, but too short distance.

I searched online that the pictures below, one got max 30cm and other one got 500cm range. I am not use that sensor, I use just half of that, say emitter or receiver. but how the 'GP2Y0A710K0F' got 500cm? does it used different IR LED or just some kind drive circuit?

30cm.JPG

500cm.JPG

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Thank you k1ng 1337.
Actually what I expected is a emitter area of a sector of 0-180 degree like your first picture all. seems can only get it by mount many LEDs fan-shaped?
I don't understand your question from the syntax you are using. I recommend you take more time to write out your thoughts as this will help people help you!

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
I don't understand your question from the syntax you are using. I recommend you take more time to write out your thoughts as this will help people help you!
thanks.
What I mean is can a IR LED emitter a semicircle beam, like the #31's first picture from 0 - 180.