Looking for Help Powering 12v LED Ring Light

bramsuer

Joined Jun 21, 2021
I am a newbie when it comes to electrical and circuitry. I have an application requiring an LED ring light, and it must be battery powered. The rest of the application (handheld device) requires minimal power, and we have selected 4 AA batteries as the most logical power source. Knowing this puts out 6v, I have been trying to step up the power (6v-12v) using a converter to ensure the light is receiving sufficient power. When I do this, I am confirming the conversion to 12v using the multimeter, but the light is still not working. Anybody have any ideas on what is going wrong? I have hooked the light up to a wall outlet and 12v power pack, and it does work, so the light is not broken.

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Are you sure that you have the polarity correct ? The wire to the light does not seem to have any way to identify the polarity.

Les.

bramsuer

Joined Jun 21, 2021
What sort of run time are you expecting from this device?
Light would only be on while circuit is completed (a trigger is pulled), so the LED will not be used all that much. That being said, I don't expect a very long run life either.

My guess. The converter does not have enough current and if you measured the output of the DC-DC converter with the LEDs connected it would be less than 12V and maybe zero.

bramsuer

Joined Jun 21, 2021
Without really enough information, I am going to guess the most likely problem is the boost converter not providing enough current. You might have more success adapting something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQ3X5DL/
thanks for that recommendation. that ring is too big for our application - -max diameter is 65mm.

on the boost converter, I manually adjusted it all the way up to 18v, and still no function from the light, which is why i'm so confused.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
thanks for that recommendation. that ring is too big for our application - -max diameter is 65mm.

on the boost converter, I manually adjusted it all the way up to 18v, and still no function from the light, which is why i'm so confused.
If the boost converter cannot produce enough current increasing the voltage will not help. My recommendation was only an example. The idea is get something that runs from 5V rather than 12V.

bramsuer

Joined Jun 21, 2021
If the boost converter cannot produce enough current increasing the voltage will not help. My recommendation was only an example. The idea is get something that runs from 5V rather than 12V.
thank you, i was searching for 5v lights but haven't been able to find quite as good of selection. was hoping there was something simple i was missing that would allow me to charge this 12v light with batteries.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
thank you, i was searching for 5v lights but haven't been able to find quite as good of selection. was hoping there was something simple i was missing that would allow me to charge this 12v light with batteries.
You can steal the ring and power circuit from a 5V light if you can find one the right size.