Looking for circuit designer to do business with!

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
Good morning forums!

My apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this, but I'm looking to collaborate with someone who can design me a circuit to certain said specifications!

Allow me to give a rundown on my intentions.

Basically, I'm building a custom subwoofer box that will house 2 8" Skar subwoofers. I figured out this cool little deal with connecting LEDs to the output of the subwoofer. Which gives the LEDs this amazing pulsating effect that goes with the bass. However, after 2 years of playing around with this, I noticed that the LEDs did not last long, they burned out. I want to be able to create a circuit that will somehow convert the proper current for the LEDs to have a safer lifespan.

Also I want to look at a way to possibly put a rechargeable 12v battery to the subwoofer box that will recharge from the current of the subwoofer as well.

If you're interested, please email me | <SNIP>

Thank you, ~Joshua

Moderators note : removed email to prevent spamming and privacy violations.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
When you say "collaborate", what exactly does that mean? Does it mean you wish to have us help with engineering design for some potential future rewards? Would you care to elaborate?

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
Well, I'm retired and have no interest in the proposition, but if you show me what you have I might be able to point you in the right direction "for advertising".
Unfortunately I'm not very circuit fluent, I specialize more in computer programming. I know the specifics of what I need, I just need someone to translate it to a circuit, you know?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
So you want the bass-beat detector circuit from a sound-to-light unit or a sound-chaser? I spent 25 years in the "professional audio and lighting" industry - I've a few circuits you're welcome to for free.
I wouldn't recommend trying to charge a battery off the subwoofer output - the amplifier might not take kindly to it!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Basically, you keep the LED parts separate from the subwoofer.
You can design LED circuits to respond to any desired frequency range that has nothing to do with the woofer or subwoofer.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I was going to say, that if he is using the AC output from the amplifier to the speaker to create power for other purposes, he is begging for problems. The Golden Ears will crucify him for even suggesting it. Even an odd shaped box inside the speaker cabinet will annoy them to no end. IMHO a better approach is to construct a powered box underneath the speaker cabinet and mount a conventional power supply and the light effects there. To generate the effect you don't need to look at the Amplifier power output, but at some point earlier in the chain where you can sample the signal being provided to the Amplifier without affecting the Amplifier or the speaker.

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
I was going to say, that if he is using the AC output from the amplifier to the speaker to create power for other purposes, he is begging for problems. The Golden Ears will crucify him for even suggesting it. Even an odd shaped box inside the speaker cabinet will annoy them to no end. IMHO a better approach is to construct a powered box underneath the speaker cabinet and mount a conventional power supply and the light effects there. To generate the effect you don't need to look at the Amplifier power output, but at some point earlier in the chain where you can sample the signal being provided to the Amplifier without affecting the Amplifier or the speaker.
Precisely! Is Raspberry Pi capable of this? But this is why I suggested the rechargeable battery, eventually I don't want to run out of power and make people constantly replace 12v batteries.

So you want the bass-beat detector circuit from a sound-to-light unit or a sound-chaser? I spent 25 years in the "professional audio and lighting" industry - I've a few circuits you're welcome to for free.
I wouldn't recommend trying to charge a battery off the subwoofer output - the amplifier might not take kindly to it!
Pretty much man. I just want the proper current going to the LEDs so they last longer. That's why I suggested using the rechargeable battery to create a circuit that taps into the frequency to brighten the light based off of how intense the bass is.

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
Basically, you keep the LED parts separate from the subwoofer.
You can design LED circuits to respond to any desired frequency range that has nothing to do with the woofer or subwoofer.
The problem is I don't really want a disposable battery. If I have to resort to it, I will, but I want to veer into different paths. That's why I need great minds like y'all to help me!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Precisely! Is Raspberry Pi capable of this? But this is why I suggested the rechargeable battery, eventually I don't want to run out of power and make people constantly replace 12v batteries.

Pretty much man. I just want the proper current going to the LEDs so they last longer. That's why I suggested using the rechargeable battery to create a circuit that taps into the frequency to brighten the light based off of how intense the bass is.
Basically, you need to separate the power requirements of the LEDs from everything else. The best way of doing this is with a separate power source. Recharging the batteries from the audio signal is a fool’s errand.

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
Basically, you need to separate the power requirements of the LEDs from everything else. The best way of doing this is with a separate power source. Recharging the batteries from the audio signal is a fool’s errand.
Is there any port coming from amplifiers in which I could utilize? Also what kind of circuits are best for what you're suggesting?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
This circuit likes a big input signal and works best from the output signal of a power amplifier.
It only presents 22k of load so even the golden ears brigade can't complain about the loading on the amplifier.
Untitled 1.png

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
This circuit likes a big input signal and works best from the output signal of a power amplifier.
It only presents 22k of load so even the golden ears brigade can't complain about the loading on the amplifier.
View attachment 239492
Looks cool! So this circuit does indeed require a 12v power supply and it feeds off of the amp as well? Another question for you, if I was to get this circuit created, would I be able to hook up, lets say, 2 12v LED rings to it? Would it be able to handle that load? Sorry for asking all of these questions. My main goal is that the circuit converts properly and handles a good amount of LED equipment. But for our sake I'll use just 2 12v LED rings.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Not quite as cool as it should be, because I drew Q2 back to front.
12V is to supply the LEDs. The input V2 is the signal from the power amplifier. It takes only a minimal amount of power from the amplifier to avoid adding a weird load to the amplifier (if a loudspeaker isn't weird enough as loads go).

If you have LEDs that run off 12V DC, then you can leave out R6 and join the LED between Q3 emitter and 12V.
Make sure Q3 will take the current.
Untitled 1.png

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
Not quite as cool as it should be, because I drew Q2 back to front.
12V is to supply the LEDs. The input V2 is the signal from the power amplifier. It takes only a minimal amount of power from the amplifier to avoid adding a weird load to the amplifier (if a loudspeaker isn't weird enough as loads go).

If you have LEDs that run off 12V DC, then you can leave out R6 and join the LED between Q3 emitter and 12V.
Make sure Q3 will take the current.
View attachment 239493
Do you mind emailing me? It's my username @gmail.com. I'd like to give you $10 for helping! Also, what circuit website that makes these would be able to create this for me? Also how many 12v DC Amps does can this circuit handle?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You can acoustically couple the LED driver circuit using a microphone. This would make the result universal and completely unable to affect the amplifier.

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
You can acoustically couple the LED driver circuit using a microphone. This would make the result universal and completely unable to affect the amplifier.
If that was the case I couldve just ordered a led kit that has that. I'm trying to capture the bass effects. Although Ive seen those theyre pretty cool, but capturing the bass is even cooler!