Looking for circuit designer to do business with!

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
500W into 2 ohms= 32V RMS or 45V peak. Of course the 12V string of LEDs burn out.

Maybe your amplifier produces 500 Whats which might be only 100 Watts. Then the peak voltage in to 2 ohms= 20V that will also burn out the LEDs.
Thanks for providing this math! Actually my amp is a Power Akoustic 2500W, which was like 90$, I'm assuming it creates 1/5 of the wattage, like you said, (not making any promises). But yes you are spot on with your assessment! Now my goal is to ultimately end up with a battery-less circuit system where the lights to can light by using a converter (possible adjustable for more wattage and voltage).

Don't drive the LEDs from the subwoofer.

What you need is a separate 12V supply to power the LEDs.
I like the idea @Yaakov provided of using a microphone to detect the sound wave from the speaker. You will need a microphone preamp and signal conditioning circuit to filter the desired frequency and modulate the LED brightness.
I think his idea is actually pretty sufficient. I'm looking to narrow down my options but still test what available options I have, you know? I want to veer more in the path of battery-less circuitry for this setup, if I can't, I'll be more than happy to work with the microphone aspect.

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
Don't drive the LEDs from the subwoofer.

What you need is a separate 12V supply to power the LEDs.
I like the idea @Yaakov provided of using a microphone to detect the sound wave from the speaker. You will need a microphone preamp and signal conditioning circuit to filter the desired frequency and modulate the LED brightness.
In this case, I would need a 12v mic preamp? or something smaller?

EDIT: From what I'm seeing product wise, am I able to get the circuits for under $50? I'm really not trying to spend anything over. If so, would you be able to point out the specific products? Again, not to keen to the circuitry aspect of electronics lol.

old_beggar

Joined Jan 29, 2021
Perhaps the TS could provide (as has already been asked) a CIRCUIT diagram of how the LEDs are connected now. Do they (as has also been asked) have a series resistor? Is there a crossover? How many LEDs are you trying to light with each output? A small amount of power could be drawn from the amp output (some basic circuitry required), and the TS could decide whether it affects the sound quality.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Do you mind emailing me? It's my username @gmail.com. I'd like to give you $10 for helping! Also, what circuit website that makes these would be able to create this for me? Also how many 12v DC Amps does can this circuit handle?
You can buy me a pint of beer if ever you are this side at the Atlantic.
You can build that circuit on stripboard - it's probably so old that it was originally built on stripboard.
Choose Q3 to suit the load. A 500mA transistor such as a BC327 should switch your LEDs

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
Perhaps the TS could provide (as has already been asked) a CIRCUIT diagram of how the LEDs are connected now. Do they (as has also been asked) have a series resistor? Is there a crossover? How many LEDs are you trying to light with each output? A small amount of power could be drawn from the amp output (some basic circuitry required), and the TS could decide whether it affects the sound quality.
I don't plan on piecing everything together, which means there is no complete circuit build. He think he asked more for specifications regarding if I was to set up the circuit like I have. Think of a regular subwoofer setup with an amp. I would connect the LEDs to the subwoofer input from the amplifier to then light up the LEDs. No series resistor, no crossover. I'm trying to light 2x LED Halo Rings that require 12v, .21 amps each. Which I'm assuming total requires 12v and .42 amps for the entire LED setup.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The sales sheet for the cheap amplifier has no audio details. It has 5 amplifier channels with power numbers not adding to its claim of 2500W!! 2500W peak-to-peak is 625 real Watts. No mention of distortion that must be severe.

The LED "rings" are rated for only 12V but the amplifier output voltage is much more.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In this case, I would need a 12v mic preamp? or something smaller?

EDIT: From what I'm seeing product wise, am I able to get the circuits for under $50? I'm really not trying to spend anything over. If so, would you be able to point out the specific products? Again, not to keen to the circuitry aspect of electronics lol.
You need 12VDC to power the LEDs. Is that correct?

Don't worry about what mic and preamp voltage you need. That will take care of itself, so to speak.
A couple of transistors in a properly designed circuit will take care of it.
All you need to decide is how you are going to get 12VDC, from a battery or a wall-wart?

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
You need 12VDC to power the LEDs. Is that correct?

Don't worry about what mic and preamp voltage you need. That will take care of itself, so to speak.
A couple of transistors in a properly designed circuit will take care of it.
All you need to decide is how you are going to get 12VDC, from a battery or a wall-wart?
I could just add spot in the subwoofer box to plug in a 12v Duracell rechargeable battery.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The amplifier mentioned is for a car that usually has a 12V battery.
Mr. Green can view the LEDs when powered from 12V in a car that has its motor running (charging the battery) to see if they are bright enough and if they survive being turned on for a while.
Then a simple circuit can sense the subwoofer output and drive the LEDs with brightness related to loudness.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
You don't have to for free, exactly why I'm offering money. Lol
You missed the point, again.

Basically, you want to do something different from what you have now. Nothing - n.o.t.h.i.n.g - will give us a better starting point than clear and unambiguous information about what you have now. In electronic circuit discussions, almost nothing is less clear than text or more clear than a drawing.

ak

Sometimes you need to say the same thing multiple times before the member gets the message.

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
You missed the point, again.

Basically, you want to do something different from what you have now. Nothing - n.o.t.h.i.n.g - will give us a better starting point than clear and unambiguous information about what you have now. In electronic circuit discussions, almost nothing is less clear than text or more clear than a drawing.

ak
Ok

mrgreen33gamer

Joined May 24, 2021
The amplifier mentioned is for a car that usually has a 12V battery.
Mr. Green can view the LEDs when powered from 12V in a car that has its motor running (charging the battery) to see if they are bright enough and if they survive being turned on for a while.
Then a simple circuit can sense the subwoofer output and drive the LEDs with brightness related to loudness.
Thanks for specifying this. I guess I should have mentioned the fact that its a car amplifier powering a subwoofer

Jim@HiTek

Joined Jul 30, 2017
Color Organ ala '70's disco

This might be adaptable. Uses 12 volt user supplied, can handle an LED light strip of 15 meters (50 feet). Not very big either. The three outputs could be combined to run one color.

Back in the day, I tech'ed around building a 1 KW per channel color organ for bars. Blue, Green, Red for High, Med, Low freqs. We chose those colors because the audiences really liked the red flood lamps matched to the bass. The inputs came from the mics but we also used 8 ohm to 2 K ohm transformers to grab a signal directly from the speakers.

Last edited: