Looking for a specific programmable switch

inoskyh

Joined Apr 11, 2015
Hi community,

Here is my problem: I'd like to re-map programmatically GPIOs lines of my microcontroller (Atmega328P) to a connector (JTAG or simple header) so that I can separate modules sensor from the core module (and reprogram the core depending on the module I connect on it).

Such part/circuitry would act as a reprogrammable multi-canal bidirectional switch, with input pins that can be connected programmatically to any output pins and thus let any analog or digital signal flow (physically or decoupled) in both direction from 1.2V to 5V?

Do you know if such parts exist? All my internet searches failed :(

Thanks a lot for your help!
Nicolas

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Any idea, ref or just kewords?
Sort of sounds like it might be: "crosspoint switch", they're used in factory local exchange switchboards to cross-route telephony signals.

Basically just a matrix array of bilateral CMOS switches with matching row/column lines.

They tend to be of the programmable type that you send a serial data stream to tell it to send which lines where. Those can usually have multiple paths through any one chip.

inoskyh

Joined Apr 11, 2015
Thanks a lot guys for your insights/ideas!

I'm looking all that new stuff, but according to what I read in datasheets / part description, here are my priority constraints :
- forward digital (I2C, SPI) and analog (passive part voltage reading) signals
- min 6x6 switch array (closest standard seems to be 8x8)
- low voltage range from 1.8V (to 3.7) cause I'm working on a battery/cell powered device.
- low consumption since... it's embedded :)
- I2C or Serial programming, whatever fits!

I'll tell you back what I thinks fits my needs, but I'm open if you have hints :)

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
Thanks a lot guys for your insights/ideas!

I'm looking all that new stuff, but according to what I read in datasheets / part description, here are my priority constraints :
- forward digital (I2C, SPI) and analog (passive part voltage reading) signals
- min 6x6 switch array (closest standard seems to be 8x8)
- low voltage range from 1.8V (to 3.7) cause I'm working on a battery/cell powered device.
- low consumption since... it's embedded :)
- I2C or Serial programming, whatever fits!

I'll tell you back what I thinks fits my needs, but I'm open if you have hints :)
Mixed signals will be harder, not easy to switch I2C and analogue, it may not be as simple as thinking of a semiconductor switch as a mechanical switch.