Looking for a specific wire (Jumper to Banana plug)

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Make your own! I always keep some silicone jacketed stranded #18- & #14-gauge wire (red, blk, etc) and various banana plug, micrograbber, etc. to make oddball cables when I need one. Also handy to have a header kit with male and female pins, and crimper as well.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Do you really want this:
1664312343354.png
That's a shorting block.

If you mean female DuPont to banana plug, you could make your own for significantly less than the likes of Pomona would charge. Assuming you have a suitable crimper.

Or buy these and cut off one end and attach a banana plug:
1664312524505.png

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I would just roll my own. Banana plugs and about anything you want is out there. Also, as mentioned what you referenced is a jumper (shorting) socket.

Ron

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Welcome to AAC.

Yeah, the best bet is to just get some banana jacks and connect them to the wires you want. The link you included is what I've known as berg jumpers. They're typically used for selecting different profiles on a circuit board. You CAN use them as connectors, but you'd be better off with
Or buy these and cut off one end and attach a banana plug:
1664312524505.png
I think that'd likely be your best option. That is if I understand your needs fully.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
thanks for the answers, folks. What would you do if you needed 100 of these?
It depends on how valuable your time is.

When I was a poor college student, I would have sat down with some snacks and maybe some TV and started making a hundred of them, a few at a time. But pretty shortly after I was working and had some income coming in, I realized that my time was more valuable to me than saving some money here and there. So if I could find a source that had something premade that would work, I spent very little tears turning over some of that money to them.

Another option is to go the slave-labor route. Got any kids that would be capable of doing the work (or learning to)? Pay them a pittance to do it (either in cash or other incentives).

Part and parcel with this, as that poor student, I would scour electronics surplus stores (the Denver area had about a dozen decent ones back then) and call distributors like Allied and others because I was unwilling to pay DigiKey's exorbitant prices. I only used their catalog to figure out what parts I needed and who made them. I took that same attitude with me to my first job, but after about a month I ran the numbers and realized that, for most things, I was actually costing my employer more by spending the time looking for the lowest price than if I just ordered the part of DigiKey and moved on. It was then that I realized that DigiKey (and Mouser, though they had a different emphasis at the time and seldom had the type of parts I was looking for) brought a level of convenience and reliability to the table that had a value that was truly worth the significantly higher price (sometimes order of magnitude higher) for prototype-scale orders. They almost always had what I was looking for, they almost always had it in stock, and they would almost always sell them to me in single units -- plus, their operators were almost universally competent, knowledgeable, and pleasant to talk to.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Belden®, Wire and Cable (beldencables-emea.com) does custom work to specification. My experience with them years ago before I retired was very positive. Don't know what your break-point cost is but it might be worth a call to them.
They may also be able to tell you who sells premade cables that will fit your need. It's been my overwhelming experience that most businesses are willing to refer you to another company, even a competitor, if they can't adequately meet your needs. Not only does the specific person you are talking to generally want to help you if possible, but the companies seem to understand, consciously or unconsciously, that people remember and come back to the places that went that extra mile to help when they didn't really have to.