Looking for a simple DC voltage amplifier with variable gain

calansvc

Joined Apr 16, 2016
I'm in need of a simple amplifier to be used as a conditioning circuit for a sensor signal, with an adjustable gain setting to change the ramp characteristics.

Basically, I need to change the ramp time for a variable 0 to 5v signal. For example:

t_curve.png

The simpler, the better. I'm thinking an AD620 module, something like this would work... if I can power with 12v but clamp the output to sensor high (5v).

Thoughts?

calansvc

Joined Apr 16, 2016
now that I think about it, I could just power it with the 5v power feed to the sensor....as long as it doesn't draw much current. That should automatically limit the output to the 5v rail...right?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
now that I think about it, I could just power it with the 5v power feed to the sensor....as long as it doesn't draw much current. That should automatically limit the output to the 5v rail...right?
That's a possibility. If the 5V rail is just a voltage regulator you're home free. Right now, I'm fighting a Ford Explorer which seems to have one wire can-bus responders in the seat belt buckles.:confused:

You could also move the 5.1 VZ to the supply line for the op-amp. That would limit the output voltage and help protect the amp from voltage transients in the electrical system.

Last edited: