Looking advice to program PIC Microcontroller

anukalp

Joined Jul 28, 2018
I want to learn programming with hardware. I bought the pic development board and Pik kit 3 Programmer.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06XQP8KS7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B071ZVY1JD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do not want to burn my board. I need your help for the first project.

I have Pik kit 3 and I have downloaded MPLAB Compiler for writing a program

My question, which programmer software need to program my PIC microcontroller?

anukalp

Joined Jul 28, 2018
MPLABX IDE https://www.microchip.com/mplab/mplab-x-ide Usually downloads your choice of compiler aswell..
I think MPLABX is used to write and debug the program but It's not used to program PIC microcontroller.

I think we use programmer software to burn hex file into MCU

I know about compiler, we use programmer software so which programmer software need to program my PIC development board ?

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
MPLABX is an IDE.. The programming software is built in.. It also provides a "stand alone" programmer during installation..

After compiling the pickit 3 kicks in and programs the part as long as the target micro is connected correctly..

anukalp

Joined Jul 28, 2018
MPLABX is an IDE.. The programming software is built in.. It also provides a "stand alone" programmer during installation..

After compiling the pickit 3 kicks in and programs the part as long as the target micro is connected correctly..
Okay How to interface pickit 3 to Development board ?

upload_2018-12-12_11-22-8.png

anukalp

Joined Jul 28, 2018
Seriously? Can you see in the picture...JP1 is the pickit2/3 connector... Pin 1( shown by arrow ) is MCLR..
I am asking for wiring connection between board and programmer because Wrong connection can be damage to board

Board
Pin PGM
Pin PGC
Pin PGD
Pin GND
Pin VDD
Pin MCLR

PIC Kit
pin 6 LVP
pin 5 PGC
pin 4 PGD
pin 3 VSS
pin 2 VDD
pin 1 VPP

How to connect six wires of pic kit 3 to board pins?

anukalp

Joined Jul 28, 2018
Just plug the pickit3 into that connector... Trust me.... It will work.. It is a pic ICSP connector and they are all the same..
Please take look at connection. I'm going to connect in following way
Board PIC Kit
Pin PGM ------pin 6 LVP
Pin PGC ------pin 5 PGC
Pin PGD ------pin 4 PGD
Pin GND ------pin 3 VSS
Pin VDD ------pin 2 VDD
Pin MCLR -----pin 1 VPP

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I am asking for wiring connection between board and programmer because Wrong connection can be damage to board
Your only question is what to do with the "PGM" connection, right? From the PIC KIT 3 user's manual:

upload_2018-12-12_7-56-38.png

Note, that position (PGM) is also identified as the LVP (low-voltage programming) pin. The 16F877A is default set for LVP (seems an obvious decision to me), but if it detects a high VPP, it will ignore the LVP and be programmed in the high-voltage mode. You can ignore it when using the PK3 as Ian Rogers recommended above (post #8) . If I were doing it, I would clear the LVP bit in the configuration register at the time of programming.

Finally, you need to review section 14.18 and following in the 16F877A datasheet (page 158 in my version). Here is a key "shaded-box" comment:
Note 1: The High-Voltage Programming mode is
always available, regardless of the state
of the LVP bit, by applying VIHH to the
MCLR pin.
2: While in Low-Voltage ICSP mode, the
RB3 pin can no longer be used as a
general purpose I/O pin.
The complete statement is much longer. Simply put, since the PK3 applies a VPP voltage, the device will recognize that and program regardless of the LVP bit setting.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

Board
Pin PGM
Pin PGC
Pin PGD
Pin GND
Pin VDD
Pin MCLR

PIC Kit
pin 6 LVP
pin 5 PGC
pin 4 PGD
pin 3 VSS
pin 2 VDD
pin 1 VPP

It won't damage the board nor the PicKit 3. In many late night sessions I have accidentally plugged my pickit 3 in backward a number of times and it is still going strong after 10 years. I have only fried one pickit 3 and maybe one or two pics in all of those years. Those occurrences were early on when I had a horrible home brew PSU desing and it was the PSU that caused the issue.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I hit the "NEXT" button at step 4. The only selection to be made is the location on your C: drive and my installation is the default as shown. However, version 8.92 that you are using is the last release of the IDE for Assembly language. It is what I use. You apparently want C language. I do not know how to do that with that program.

Try installing the newer programs form Microchip like MPLAB X IDE (Sorry, I do not know the latest release for C).