Logic gate circuit HELP

vermerker

Joined Dec 15, 2017
Hi, I've made a truth table for this circuit and have come to the conclusion its a buffer for B but I'm not sure this is right. Can someone let me know how they would have gone about it. Is it another logic gate, arithmetic function or memory?

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Put labels for A, B, and Z on the schematic.

Are we to assume that a HIGH from the OR gate turns the light on?

vermerker

Joined Dec 15, 2017
Welcome to AAC!

Put labels for A, B, and Z on the schematic.

Are we to assume that a HIGH from the OR gate turns the light on?
Yes and I think I initially did the truth table wrong and now think the circuit is equivalent to a buffer for B. Is there any other useful function of this circuit?

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes and I think I initially did the truth table wrong and now think the circuit is equivalent to a buffer for B. Is there any other useful function of this circuit?
If it's a buffer for B, that means that A has no effect on the circuit.

But what if A is HI?

vermerker

Joined Dec 15, 2017
If A is LO when B is HI then assuming Z starts from LO it will change to HI. So so I assume that Z is still at HI? if it is then it will remain there? So is it acting as memory for B?

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If has a memory aspect to it, but whether "acting as memory for B" is a reasonable description depends on what, exactly, that phrase means. If it's memory for B, what purpose does A serve?

Are you familiar with RS latches? Can you recast this circuit into one of the classic latch circuits?

vermerker

Joined Dec 15, 2017
If has a memory aspect to it, but whether "acting as memory for B" is a reasonable description depends on what, exactly, that phrase means. If it's memory for B, what purpose does A serve?

Are you familiar with RS latches? Can you recast this circuit into one of the classic latch circuits?
Thank You for your help, I have run a simulation of this circuit and understand it mostly. I can see that it stores the value of B when A is LO and B is HI even after B is reverted to LO as long as A remains LO Z is HI. The same applies the otherway A can reset the output to LO by changing it to HI and the circuit remains at LO even if A is changed to HI.

Can you help me on this circuit? is there a connecting function of X,Y or are they just separate logic gates XOR and NOT for B?

Attachments