Locking push solenoid overheating need advise on PWM controller

M-W-W

Joined Jan 5, 2024
Hello, Attempting to lock a differential, see attached link.
for explanation.
Currently using a 10amp time delay off relay and a single on/off rocker switch. It works but the locking solenoid gets hot.
Working with a 12 volt DC system and at 2 minutes the solenoid will reach 214 degrees and rising.
I purchased a valve driver board, electromagnet solenoid driver from amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J89FLDQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
That driver helped in reducing temps to 170 degrees after 20 minutes at 5 volts but I lost the 12 volts needed to engage the solenoid. After testing 9 volts is required to get the fast engagement needed, but at 9 volts solenoid temps rise rapidly. On this driver board the fre and pwm adjustment work together. I had hoped I can find a driver that would give me the 12 volts initial burst then the 5 volts holding. This model on eBay reads to be what I need. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1262647162...-9f8e-d2e68cbd0f84|iid:1|vlpname:vlp_homepage
As for Solenoid specs it is a:
Saia-burgess sta products
cage 818140
154295-003
I was unable to find anything on it. I have contacted Saia-Burgess direct but no reply also Contacted a American distributor no reply.
It has a ohm reading of 3.6 and that = 3.33 amps / 40 watts and is in cased inside a sealed plastic enclosure with no air flow it is water tight. Installed between the 2 solenoid wires in a diode I assume to prevent current back flow when the solenoid is released? see attached photo
Was able to find info on a similar solenoid on the Saia-Burgess site:
STA 13 x 27
Dimensions (mm)
Duty cycle
Stroke
Operation
Max. force (N)
Life
Power (W)
Supply (V)
Functional
Advantages
∅ 13 x 27
continuous or intermittent
Nominal Stroke 2,5 mm
Push engagement; well-suited to lock/latch
operations
Up to 4,18 N (@ 10% Duty Cycle)
Extraordinary life of 25+ million actuations
4–40
2,4–77 VDC
Economical STA® Series design for volume applications;
multiple plunger designs; on/off operation
Preferred Range
Type Size Function Duty Cycle Max. Stroke Nominal voltage Force@Nominal Stroke Nominal power max. "On time"
195223-232 Ø 13 X 27 mm Push 100% 12,7 mm 8,1 VDC 0,3–0,6 N 4 W @20°C ∞ sec
195223-132 Ø 13 X 27 mm Push 100% 12,7 mm 8,1 VDC 0,3–0,6 N 4 W @20°C ∞ sec
Technical Data
Dielectric Strength 500 VRMS
Recommended Maximum watts dissipated by solenoid are based on an unrestricted flow of air at 20°C,
Minimum Heat Sink with solenoid mounted on the equivalent of an aluminum plate measuring 51 x 3,2 mm
Coil Resistance ±5% tolerance
Holding Force Flat Face: 4,45 N @20°C
60°: 3,16 N @20°C
Weight 25,2 g
Plunger Weight 3,12 g

Like the video shows with the switch on the drive motor turns a gear set which turns a plate inside the differential to lock the clutches, then the solenoid engages and locks the gear in position, and power in cut to motor. When switch is turned off the solenoid retracts and gears free spin back releasing the spring loaded plate on the clutches.

My questions are:
How hot is to hot for a solenoid? it may be engaged for a minute or and hour + depending on terrain.
What kind of solenoid driver do I need that will give me a 12 volt burst then a steady 5 +/- volts
The diode installed in the wiring leave or remove?

Thank you

Attachments

M-W-W

Joined Jan 5, 2024
I can't answer as I was unable to find any data on that exact solenoid. I do know the locking differential is used in a 12 volt system. form years 2018-2024. I'm attempting a install in a 2017 and avoiding the purchase of the complete $700 harness needed.
Fairly certain it is not AC

M-W-W

Joined Jan 5, 2024
1/25/24 Just a update: The hit and hold driver suggested is available in a 1 amp and 5 amp model with 66.6% and 50% duty cycle. The 5 amp set at 50% is working perfectly. So again Thank you for your reply Alec_t