Locking People inside houses in GB

marcf

Joined Dec 29, 2014
We are in Seattle WA. USA and really enjoy English Mysteries on Net Flicks.

One of the ways people are killed is that the perp locks them inside their houses from the outside.

Is this even possible? I would think that there would be building codes that would make this not possible.

Just wondering.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
This movie is a classic case of "faction" much like Godzilla and the one where a volcano floods Los Angeles with lava after a construction company drilling for the foundation of a building goes too deep.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I could nail your doors shut, but I don't understand how that would kill you. Even if I nailed your windows shut, are you just going to sit there until you starve to death? I don't get it. How do you kill somebody by locking them in their home? Are British movie murder victims too well mannered to break a window?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Our doors in the college dorm rooms opened into the room. The big joke in this dorm was to wedge a stack of two or three pennies between the steel door jamb and the big maple doors with such force that the doors bent a little. Once kids figured out how to grab the round door knob with two hands, the next level was for a group to stop by a room, wipe Vaseline on the inside knob, then pull the door shut and wedge the pennies in the Jamb. I think some kids might still be stuck in their rooms. This treatment was reserved for the guys who vomited in the shared restroom and refused to clean it up.

So, to answer the OP, yes, if the victim has no phone or common sense to get out of the house. Likely the same type of person you find in US horror movies. The kind of person who would rather hide behind a row of chain saws than jump into a running car and drive away.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The kind of security door on my house allows the door to be padlocked from outside if a padlock is not already blocking the hasp. In the case of doors locked from the outside, there is always the fire doors in the window security grills. Everybody has those, don't they?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Our doors in the college dorm rooms opened into the room. The big joke in this dorm was to wedge a stack of two or three pennies between the steel door jamb and the big maple doors with such force that the doors bent a little. Once kids figured out how to grab the round door knob with two hands, the next level was for a group to stop by a room, wipe Vaseline on the inside knob, then pull the door shut and wedge the pennies in the Jamb. I think some kids might still be stuck in their rooms. This treatment was reserved for the guys who vomited in the shared restroom and refused to clean it up.

So, to answer the OP, yes, if the victim has no phone or common sense to get out of the house. Likely the same type of person you find in US horror movies. The kind of person who would rather hide behind a row of chain saws than jump into a running car and drive away.
And then there is tying the shitter door shut at summer camp. If you ever used a latrine, you will know how horrible of an event this would be to experience.

The seasoned camper would approach the shitter to do his business with such stealth, it would have impressed a highly experienced special forces sniper. Rule #1, don't let the shitter door slam. It is like ringing the dinner bell.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In the case of doors locked from the outside, there is always the fire doors in the window security grills. Everybody has those, don't they?
Fire doors in the security grilles? The more you describe Thailand, the less I want to be there.
I have known a dozen Thai people that would make the best kind of friends and neighbors, but I don't remember my childhood fondly.
Mud roads, mostly walking everywhere, and a tool shed quality lock on the front door?
No thanks. I grew up with that and I think I'm better off now.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You don't have roof tiles in USA?
We have them in some southern states. Mostly We use plywood and cover the plywood with "shingles". A modern shingle is a fiberglass sheet impregnated with an acrylic-modified asphalt and then a colored gravel/sand mix is pressed into the asphalt to add color and durability.

image.jpg

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
I wouldn't want to have roof tiles if I was to live in the USA, would be a fairly risky for my pocket with all the tornadoes and strong winds.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Roof tiles? Where do you live, Croatia?
Every place has its different types of structures. I live in a concrete block house, so I keep a crowbar hanging from the curtain rod in the bedroom. I can bust out the window if the doors are facing into a house fire and the window is the only escape route.

I know, I should be using Linux because Linux doesn't have house fires, but local fire code requires me to have Windows in the bedroom.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I wouldn't want to have roof tiles if I was to live in the USA,
Tile roofs are the more expensive roof in the U.S.
In other places, that is not true.
I can see from the conversation that some tile roofs do not have a solid layer of boards or plywood under the tiles.
Asphalt shingles must have the wood layer.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Every place has its different types of structures. I live in a concrete block house, so I keep a crowbar hanging from the curtain rod in the bedroom. I can bust out the window if the doors are facing into a house fire and the window is the only escape route.

I know, I should be using Linux because Linux doesn't have house fires, but local fire code requires me to have Windows in the bedroom.
? Umm... I guess I cannot argue with that. Anyone want to add a comment about the suitability of other systems?