Load cell rated output, result of increment question

Dann010

Joined Dec 1, 2020
Good day everyone,

With regards to a strain gauge type load cell with a rated output of 1mV/V with 5VDC excitation voltage, for example. When using a 24bit ADC like a HX711 (which will not utilize all 24 bits due to noise, more like 14 best case scenario) will it make any real world difference to the accuracy of the load cells' output if the rated output is increased to 2mV/V?

Thanks for any insights and further reading in advance.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
1mV/V is pants... We use 1.6mV/V and get something useful.. 2mV/V is supposed to be the "norm".

I also found that 1mV/V doesn't help when linearity is not good.. I, personally, don't like the HX711.. I prefer a simple amp and make stuff happen in software.

Excitation.... I have used as low as 1v ( wireless systems ) and still get a decent output from1.6mV/V..

Dann010

Joined Dec 1, 2020
Thank you Eric. I am using 5VDC for excitation and will be fixed due to HX711 requirements.

Thank you Ian. Very interesting, which amplifier do you prefer to use?

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
I use 1 of two... The INA125P because of the internal references...( by the way, this outputs 1.25V ~ 10V for the bridge, dependent on supply..)

Normally I use the INA126P ( same without the references ) and only 8 pin.. I find them really stable..