Load Cell project help

SeanV123

Joined Nov 12, 2020
Hello, I have a question regarding load cells and a small project I want to do. So I have an LED strip over my desk where I do my college work and work on my electronics projects. This LED strip is powered by my laptop which takes up space on my desk when I don't wanna use it but want to use the LED strip light. I have an idea to use a load cell to connect to the LED strip light and when I sit on my chair the light comes on. However when I'm looking at load cells online they all have a max load of 10kg. Is there any which would have a larger max load?
Thank you very much.

s14rs4

Joined Sep 15, 2016
Load cells can be found which can measure up to several tons, but they are expensive. They are used to make linear measurements of load or weight. This is not what you require, all you need is a simple pressure mat, an on or off switch. These are used in security systems and are much cheaper. Personally I would just fit a switch to the desk and switch it on and off as needed.

SeanV123

Joined Nov 12, 2020
Load cells can be found which can measure up to several tons, but they are expensive. They are used to make linear measurements of load or weight. This is not what you require, all you need is a simple pressure mat, an on or off switch. These are used in security systems and are much cheaper. Personally I would just fit a switch to the desk and switch it on and off as needed.
Where can I purchase these pressure mats ?