LM317 Nightmare

electrongod1

Joined Sep 8, 2018
Hi All,
A newb trying to build a simple variable power supply 1.2- 24 VDC. Using LM317 regulator. R1 instantly overheats and voltage soars to 36VDC.
After numerous LM317 chips, I am at a loss. My circuit is attached. I've poured over the data sheets and my math seems to be ok as are my tolerances.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Check your wiring. R1 shouldn't get hot because there's only 1.25V across it.

Do you have a load on the regulator? 220 ohms isn't small enough to satisfy the minimum load requirement.

electrongod1

Joined Sep 8, 2018
I have checked and double checked pinout and wiring. No Load on regulator. Possibly have bad LM317's? Data sheet shows a 240 ohm resistor (however my Bible, The art of Electronics, says this is incorrect) which has added some confusion.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Where did you buy them? I've only encountered one authentic LM317 that wouldn't regulate with a 10mA load; in 40 years.

A 120 ohm set resistor should be sufficient to satisfy the minimum load requirement; 220 or 240 don't.

If you add a 5mA load with 240 ohms, you should be good.

electrongod1

Joined Sep 8, 2018
Thanks di324. You have been much help. My package is TO-220. Your comments gave me insight so I put a 330 ohm resistor in parallel with
R1 (220 ohm) to give me 133 ohm load and changed R2 to 5k. Replaced LM317 and now it functions fine. What bothers me is why am I burning up 317's as I understand it is quite resilient? Again, thanks for your help. I am now also an AAC fanatic. With guys like you I can't help but learn.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What bothers me is why am I burning up 317's as I understand it is quite resilient?
How were they wired when they burned up?

Were they purchased through a reputable source? If you're buying from Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, or any seller who ships from China, they could be rejects or counterfeit. Since counterfeiting has become so widespread, I've started buying from reputable sources (Mouser, Newark, Jameco, etc). I noticed that Jameco has a store on eBay - that would be a reputable source on eBay; but I'd buy from their website anyway (better prices).

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
Hey there :)

Just out of curiousity did you use some diodes to protect against shorts? Like the ones in this diagram, lack of those have fried a few of mine in the past.

lm317.jpg

The bypass caps, C1 and C2 need to be as close to the regulator as possible. The regulator will oscillate.

Another problem may be heatsinking. These https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aavid/4880MG electrically insulate, but thermally bond the package to the metal heatsink.

You get a shoulder washer, a screw, a belleville washer and a nut as well as a thermal pad. Some thermal pads need silicone grease, other's do not.

The minimum load think is known by a lot of us.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
317 pretty rugged -

3 Description The LM317 device is an adjustable three-terminal positive-voltage regulator capable of supplying more than 1.5 A over an output-voltage range of 1.25 V to 37 V. It requires only two external resistors to set the output voltage. The device features a typical line regulation of 0.01% and typical load regulation of 0.1%. It includes current limiting, thermal overload protection, and safe operating area protection. Overload protection remains functional even if the ADJUST terminal is disconnected. Device Information(
Output cap optional -

7.3.1 NPN Darlington Output Drive NPN Darlington output topology provides naturally low output impedance and an output capacitor is optional. 3-V headroom is recommended (VI – VO) to support maximum current and lowest temperature.
Note this will present as a low freq oscillation, but should still protect -

7.4.4 Operation In Self Protection When an overload occurs the device shuts down Darlington NPN output stage or reduces the output current to prevent device damage. The device will automatically reset from the overload. The output may be reduced or alternate between on and off until the overload is removed
Cap recommendations -

upload_2018-10-11_5-18-2.png

Regards, Dana.