Lipo dead cell help

nissan20det

Joined Apr 3, 2015
Hey guys! had my thunder power 1300mah 3cell sitting in the garage to long. Two cells are gravy. I have a decent lipo charger balancer. Passport something. But its pulling a low voltage error on cell one when discharging and a high voltage error when charging that cell individually.
Now Its been on it for 10 mins but how long can I keep it on this?. I have is slowly trickle charging on a 5v 0.15a phone charger. After 10 mins, voltage is the same as the start, which is 4.8v. Can it sit here for hours without this charger raising the cell voltage to high? 4.8v doesn't scare me a bit. But will this eventually rase the voltage? Or pull to 4.8 and stop?

Thanks
Zach

gramps

Joined Dec 8, 2014
Dispose of this battery ASAP. Do not, repeat, do not try to charge it with any charger not specifically designed to charge LiPo batteries. Make sure your home owners fire insurance is up to date. These batteries can and do burn like road flares when improperly charged. Do yourself a favor and replace it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Put that battery in a place where it can't do any harm if it should burst into flames and then let it sit there for a few hours. Then dispose of it properly.

Attempting to charge damaged LiPo batteries can cause them to go into a slow-burn thermal runaway that causes them to burst into flames well after the charger has been removed. I don't know how long is safe, but I would imagine a few hours should be sufficient.

nissan20det

Joined Apr 3, 2015
Okay cool. That's what figured. And I always charge in lipo flame bags, in garage, in a sand filled metal bucket

Yes Gramps I've been in the lipo world for 14 years now. Back when most people new nothing about them... Tossing a $250 battery isn't always fun. Also I would snag the two good cells and make a 2 cell pack long before I would just trash it. . I know all about the dangers of charging. Low voltage, low amperage charging is a different story with lipos.

But will see I'll do a few hrs then a slow discharge and repeat if voltage under min. And of course if I get in the 2.8-3.4v range then back to the passport lipo charger.

Thanks!
Cheers!

nissan20det

Joined Apr 3, 2015
Oh I did forget to mention it did do this a couple months back but a few charge and discharge cycles it came back on the lipo charger. So yaill let u know if it works I'll keep a dmm on it to watch/ record voltage rise.

I took it off the 5v charger after 20mins went from .2v to 1.1 so maybe itll come back