Link emg electrodes to mouse

Napoleon11090

Joined Aug 12, 2016
Hi everyone,
Since this is my first post,I apologise for any error.Feel free to point it out and I'll rectify it.
My question is,can the emg electrode that sends signal to my prosthetic hand be modified to 'click' a mouse button? Of course a way can be designed to handle the mouse but that's a mechanical problem not electrical.
It will be a boon to a disabled gamers like us who are new amputees now.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi everyone,
Since this is my first post,I apologise for any error.Feel free to point it out and I'll rectify it.
My question is,can the emg electrode that sends signal to my prosthetic hand be modified to 'click' a mouse button? Of course a way can be designed to handle the mouse but that's a mechanical problem not electrical.
It will be a boon to a disabled gamers like us who are new amputees now.
Im sure something can be done - send some photos and we'll start asking questions.

NOTE
Any changes (or attempted changes) may invalidate the warrantee or the insurance support.
Changes or attempted changes may render your device unusable or unsafe.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
can the emg electrode that sends signal to my prosthetic hand be modified to 'click' a mouse button?
It's going to need a lot of amplification to get from millivolts and microamps to enough power to throw a mechanical switch.
Then there's all that common mode noise rejection stuff.:(
This is not a beginner's project.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What can you tell us about the EMG signal? How many channels? What is/are the signals like? Is an inductive pickup on one of the channels reasonable. I think that might be better than having a mouse permanently attached and/or hardwired to whichever hand it is. Like, what if you need to scratch yourself will surfing the net? ;)

John

EDIT: Just did a brief Google search on prosthetic hands with EMG control. Virtually all of the good references are IEEE or Elsevier and are not accessible without a subscription. I did find one that mentioned there were 19 signals, but there was no mention of how many degrees of freedom that hand had. So, tell us more about your hand. How many electrodes do you have? Does your hand have control of the individual digits or just claw function? Who made your hand? Link?

John

Last edited: