Linear solenoid wiring help

Adrian Haber

Joined Apr 17, 2017
I am trying to wire up a solenoid to a 24v lipo battery. It will be actuated by a relay, but I am wondering what kind of current protection is necessary so that when the solenoid is actuated it doesn't draw to much. Do I need some type of diode or resistor?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The solenoid will draw whatever current it is rated for which should be covered in the solenoid data sheet. The battery in my truck can supply hundreds of amps (truck starter motor) but the headlights only draw what they are rated for. Got a link to the solenoid data sheet? I assume it is a 24 VDC solenoid.

Ron

Adrian Haber

Joined Apr 17, 2017
The solenoid will draw whatever current it is rated for which should be covered in the solenoid data sheet. The battery in my truck can supply hundreds of amps (truck starter motor) but the headlights only draw what they are rated for. Got a link to the solenoid data sheet? I assume it is a 24 VDC solenoid.

Ron
Here is the link to where I bought the solenoid doesn't really have a data sheet an although it is rated for 12v, I have run it at 24v and it seems to work just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a1412...8&qid=1492473178&sr=8-1&keywords=5kg+solenoid

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Here is the link to where I bought the solenoid doesn't really have a data sheet an although it is rated for 12v, I have run it at 24v and it seems to work just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a1412...8&qid=1492473178&sr=8-1&keywords=5kg+solenoid
It will quite likely overheat and burn out if operated very long at 24V when it's rated for 12V.
Operating at 24V means the solenoid coil will dissipate 4 times the power it would at 12V. :eek:

You should put a 30Ω, 10W resistor in series with the solenoid coil to prevent it from overheating.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
DC 12V, 400 mA
That makes it pretty simple, you have a 12 VDC coil, now if you choose to run a 12 VDC coil at 24 Volts then so be it. The numbers lead me to believe you have a DC coil resistance of about 30 Ohms. Running at 24 VDC on a coil designed for 12 VDC is not a very good idea but hey, it's your solenoid. I would find about a 30 Ohm 10 watt resistor and place it in series with the solenoid. I would likely fuse it at 1.0 Amp if you want to fuse it. Seems silly to worry about fusing something when you are running it at twice its rated voltage. Anyway, if you choose to run it at 24 VDC just apply ohms law and do the math. You will be drawing about twice the current. For short quick pulse operation not bad but for any sustained operation the coil will get hot. There is a reason coils have a rated voltage.

I see Carl got it typed ahead of me. :)

Ron

Adrian Haber

Joined Apr 17, 2017
Thank you all for the help. The operation is only momentary so it should be ok. This also only has to work once, so running it at a higher than rated voltage should be ok.