Controlled solenoid stroke length

maurodelazeri

Joined Oct 21, 2020
Let me create a scenario to better illustrate the problem I have 1500 pens that I want to individually actuate upwards with 3 different distances, ex: 10mm/15mm/20mm I thought I could use solenoids to do this, but I'm not sure if this is the best option and how accurate the solenoid will be, another point is that speed is very important to me, that's why I'm initially not considering servos for example.
Any input is much appreciated thanks!

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Solenoids for the most part work in a stop to stop way. By stop I mean the solid end of the movement. It is hard to control solenoids to an accurate, intermediate place of movement.

Maybe explaining more of what your trying to do will give ideas for you.

maurodelazeri

Joined Oct 21, 2020
To have an idea, this image illustrate how the "pens" will be place - side by side

3G9FE7U.png
The tricky part is that not every "pen" needs to be activated at the same time and the distance of the stroke needs to be controlled to vary (10mm / 15mm /20 mm) these numbers do not need to be 100% accurate, they can have a 10% tolerance for example.

ex: at a certain time I want to activate the first pen from left to right, then the second and then the third and others I might want to active these same three at the same time.

In terms of force, its around 5N, so, not so much, but the speed is important, that's why, like I mentioned before I didn't think servos fit this problem well, but I might be wrong thought, I don't know how I can measure the speed of a servo in compassion with a solenoid, but I think ll be a lot...

any input is appreciated

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If you are activating more than one at the same time would they need to able to have different strokes - for instance pen 1 10mm and pen 2 20mm.

maurodelazeri

Joined Oct 21, 2020
If you are activating more than one at the same time would they need to able to have different strokes - for instance pen 1 10mm and pen 2 20mm.
The idea is to use an individual solenoid for each "pen"and this solenoid be able to do this 3 different strokes, so if I want I ll be able to activate 1 and 2 with 20mm at the same time for example

I'm planning to manage each solenoid using a Siemens micro controller with the number of output ports I need, in this project I think 3000

At first I thought it was a trivial problem, but, going deeper, I realized that it is not

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Sounds like a tough nut.

Maybe some sort of cam, turned by solenoid strokes.

IE:

1 stroke = 10mm
2 strokes = 15mm
3 strokes = 20mm

I doubt if you could ever control the length of a solenoid stroke purely electronically, without being some custom device.

maurodelazeri

Joined Oct 21, 2020
Sounds like a tough nut.

Maybe some sort of cam, turned by solenoid strokes.

IE:

1 stroke = 10mm
2 strokes = 15mm
3 strokes = 20mm

I doubt if you could ever control the length of a solenoid stroke purely electronically, without being some custom device.
yupp...

one possible solution I thought (mechanic solution)

gte3oiZ.pngThe main solenoid is in the vertical and can reach 20mm, the solenoids in the horizontal limit the movement to 10mm and 15mm when active, if not active, the movement will be full 20mm

that makes sense? I would rather to have it controlled electronically but, I'm not finding a solution

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
yupp...

one possible solution I thought (mechanic solution)

View attachment 220207The main solenoid is in the vertical and can reach 20mm, the solenoids in the horizontal limit the movement to 10mm and 15mm when active, if not active, the movement will be full 20mm

that makes sense? I would rather to have it controlled electronically but, I'm not finding a solution
If you're going to use three solenoide it might be easier to use three separate solenoids for each key and to have them limited to different strokes.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
would be 1000 times simpler if you could re define the problem to only need two positions,
the cost and complexity of such a solution would be much less ,

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The problem with using three solenoids is space. Can you fit multiple solenoids between neighboring pens?

Have you considered a stepper motor driving a rack gear? The rack would be attached to the pen.
DCACF1B2-327D-4AB7-88DA-B3484F48B6AB.gif

maurodelazeri

Joined Oct 21, 2020
The problem with using three solenoids is space. Can you fit multiple solenoids between neighboring pens?

Have you considered a stepper motor driving a rack gear? The rack would be attached to the pen.
View attachment 220237
yup, you are right, there is a bit of a challenge in terms of space... stepper motors and servo motors are an option, but the problem is speed, it is much slower compared to a solenoid