Combined an Electromagnetic Switch and a Linear Actuator Solenoid in the one Device or Circuit

galteemor

Joined Jul 30, 2019
Hi All
Bit of a theoretical question. Is it possible to have a standard solenoid with linear linear actuator and and an electromagnetic, relay type, switch combined into the one device? See the attached diagram, it shows a standard relay switch setup and a linear actuator in the solenoid.

What I want to achieve is when the coil is energized the solenoid actuator would push out and the switch contacts would close at the same time.

Thanks,
Gary More

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Commercially available actuators include limit switches which change state when the actuator is at/near either end of its travel. Is that what you want?

galteemor

Joined Jul 30, 2019
Hi Alec and thanks for your welcome.
Not exactly what I am looking for. The electromagnetic switch could in theory be outside of, but wired back into the solenoid / actuator. If you see the attached picture of a relay switch. When the coil is energized the relay contacts will close. Is it possible to have an actuator also push out of the solenoid coil at the same time ? In other words could I wire a standard solenoid (with a push out actuator) to also close the contacts of an electromagnetic switch at the same time. I dont want the movement of the actuator to close the switch.

Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

galteemor

Joined Jul 30, 2019
I had considered that but it may not suit my purpose. The attached diagram may explain better what I am trying to do. The energizing of the solenoid should be able to both close the switch contacts and move the linear actuator at the same time even if the switch is physically located outside from solenoid (it would be wired back into the solenoid though). Is this possible do you think ?

Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

We're still confused.

Usually a linear actuator is a motor with potentiometer, optical or mechanical pulses for positioning. It may incorporate end of travel limit switches.

Another type of actuator is a voice coil actuator (similar to a speaker)

there are other types such as piezoelectric and those made from "linear motors" and "stepper motors"

Then there is the simple "solenoid", but we generally don't group it into the "linear actuator" class.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If you've got something called an actuator powered electrically and you want a contact to close/open when the actuator, er.., actuates, could you not connect a relay coil across the actiuator coil. When the actuator is powered the relay will operate its contact.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
In your Basic-Diagram the actuator takes the place of the relay core which would normally be pulling the armature. As there is now no armature, how do you plan to close the relay contacts? Note that the bulk of the magnetic flux is inside the coil, not outside where the contacts are.

TeeKay6

Joined Apr 20, 2019
Hi All
Bit of a theoretical question. Is it possible to have a standard solenoid with linear linear actuator and and an electromagnetic, relay type, switch combined into the one device? See the attached diagram, it shows a standard relay switch setup and a linear actuator in the solenoid.

What I want to achieve is when the coil is energized the solenoid actuator would push out and the switch contacts would close at the same time.

Thanks,
Gary More
It seems to me that @AlbertHall is on the right track. A relay coil, either in series with the solenoid coil or in parallel with the solenoid coil. Both devices would actuate at the same time when powered. The relay could be remotely located from the solenoid but connected via wires.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It seems to me that @AlbertHall is on the right track. A relay coil, either in series with the solenoid coil or in parallel with the solenoid coil. Both devices would actuate at the same time when powered. The relay could be remotely located from the solenoid but connected via wires.
I parallel would be best, that way you can limit their current individually, depending on your arrangement requirements.

galteemor

Joined Jul 30, 2019
Thanks guys, I think you have answered my question, a parallel relay coil seems to be the approach that I was looking for. I was wondering if the electromagnetic switch and the actuator could both be energized by using just the solenoid coil, but I think Alec_t has answered that wouldn't really work..

Thanks for you time and input on this.
Gary