Linear Solenoid 60V from 8V Circuit

MontyPylon

Joined Feb 7, 2016
I have a linear solenoid that I want to push 60V through for a very small amount of time, but my voltage source is a 2S LiPo (7.4V). Is there a way I can charge up some capacitors and then use an N-channel MOSFET to switch the solenoid on for a second? I want to use the linear solenoid to kick a golf ball on a soccer robot that I am building. Any help would be appreciated! I am fairly new to circuitry and electronics.

Thank you!

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I have a linear solenoid that I want to push 60V through for a very small amount of time, but my voltage source is a 2S LiPo (7.4V). Is there a way I can charge up some capacitors and then use an N-channel MOSFET to switch the solenoid on for a second? I want to use the linear solenoid to kick a golf ball on a soccer robot that I am building. Any help would be appreciated! I am fairly new to circuitry and electronics.

Thank you!
You can use a boost regulator, but it is often difficult to find one that outputs 60 volts.
But in any case more info is needed about your actuator like voltage, current, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-35V-to-2-...672740?hash=item3aa4019ea4:g:Ic4AAOSwv0tU8WBm

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Also need to know how often you need to fire this thing.

A simple flyback boost converter could work, but it's not going to charge up instantly.

MontyPylon

Joined Feb 7, 2016
Also need to know how often you need to fire this thing.

A simple flyback boost converter could work, but it's not going to charge up instantly.
That's fine if it doesn't charge up instantly. Can I use a flyback boost converter to charge up some capacitors and then release the charge from there? If so what capacitance values would I use? And thank you for responding!

MontyPylon

Joined Feb 7, 2016

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
At what power level does your solenoid core go into magnetic saturation?

Thats the voltage/power level you want to hit it with being anything over that is of drastically diminishing returns.