linear actuator

andyjack38

Joined May 21, 2022
Hi guy's I could use a little assistance to work out some 12 vdc wiring. I have a 12.5 kw generator totally enclosed with a damper to let air in for cooling I have instal an actuator to open or close the damper, from my genset controller I have digitals inputs and outputs what I wish to do is on start of the genset is to use a momentary pulse to fully extend an actuator (with built in limit switch) and when turning of the genset will retract the actuator using the same input to drive the relay so to inverse polarity. Many thanks in advance..

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So you wish to use the same signal to initiate the actuator return signal as the forward stroke ?
What is the nature of the momentary signal?

andyjack38

Joined May 21, 2022
Hi, the only thing that I have is a picture of the relay, I taught it would have been a wiring schematic, a nice picture in fusion 360

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
Hi Andy,

A DPDT 'Ratchet Relay' may be used to reverse the polarity of the voltage, applied to the linear actuator motor, to open / close the damper.

Limit switches, built into the actuator, stop it's actuation at the end of travel in either direction.

1.png

The voltage gets reversed with every consecutive pulse to the ratchet relay coil.

The voltage and pulse width are to conform to the manufacturer's specifications.

Nandu.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you use that circuit, you should not need the diodes and limit switches as they are most likely already in the actuator.
Do you know the duration of the pulse?
The Ratchet relay actuates on-off-on on every pulse