Linear actuator wiring automotive

elawnizak

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Id like to wire a linear actuator, but also have two reed magnetic switches and a rocker switch in the circuit.

Id like to turn the rocker switch on, which sends power to the reed switches (1 to open, 1 to close) which then controls the actuator.

I have a rocker switch, two reed switches, 2 relays and the actuator.

Can somebody help me with a wiring diagram.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
There are dozens of circuits to do this. Important is things like motor current and voltage? Reed switches are fine but most magnetic reed switches have very limited current and voltage. I assume a DC motor and that your relays are rated for switching DC and meet the motor load requirements? Also, depending on the actuator motor sometimes before reversing there is a pause. Do you just want Fwd / Rev (In / Out) to repeat as long as power is applied?

Ron

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Specifically, your post is very vague (doesn’t even mention) the desired action of the linear actuator. What do you want it to do and when?

elawnizak

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Linear actuator (open/close) single polarity.

I’d like to turn rocker switch on, which sends power to reed magnetic switches. Then I would apply magnet to switch which should should send power to actuator to open or extend. When apply magnet to second switch it closes linear actuator.

I currently have a spst universal rocker switch, 2 standard no/nc reed switch and two 4-prong relay, universal linear actuator.

Not sure if I need a 5 prong relay or different switch. May be wrong parts. But looking for guidance.

Any advice/guidance is appreciated.

I wired one a few years back, but can’t seem to get this one working.

elawnizak

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Al

I’d like to turn rocker switch on, which sends power to reed magnetic switches. Then I would apply magnet to switch which should should send power to actuator to open or extend. When apply magnet to second switch it closes linear actuator.

I currently have a spst universal rocker switch, 2 standard no/nc reed switch and two 4-prong relay, universal linear actuator.

Not sure if I need a 5 prong relay or different switch. May be wrong parts. But looking for guidance.

elawnizak

Joined Oct 20, 2019
There are dozens of circuits to do this. Important is things like motor current and voltage? Reed switches are fine but most magnetic reed switches have very limited current and voltage. I assume a DC motor and that your relays are rated for switching DC and meet the motor load requirements? Also, depending on the actuator motor sometimes before reversing there is a pause. Do you just want Fwd / Rev (In / Out) to repeat as long as power is applied?

Ron
Yes- all for automotive

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If you want a linear actuator to extend and retract it's done by reversing polarity.

In the interest of keeping things simple and modular I would likely thing about using what is commonly called an H bridge circuit. A popular chip for this is the old L298 which can be had pretty inexpensive. OK a 12 volt automotive system but less knowing the actuator current nothing really definitive can be suggested. Again, reed switches are very low current devices. While suitable for driving an H bridge I doubt they would handle actuator current. They could drive an H bridge. The mentioned L298 is also dual; which only means it can drive two motors. Most L298 modules will drive up to 1 amp continuous current. If you need higher current there are other modules. Do you have any name plate data for the actuator? That would help considerably.

Ron